1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-2 PRO, Is it too unreliable to gig with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapstick13, May 11, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Decided to quit messing with pedals to get the tone I want. Selling my svt 3 pro and all my pedals and just get a great head. My dream head is the 2 pro which I found 'barely used' on craigs list for $1000. Now that Im really looking into the head, everything ive read about them says they are a nightmare in terms of reliablility. I will be playing shows and can't afford a second, backup amp.

The guy Im buying it from said he has only had it for 3 months and its barely been played on, never gigged, never taken out of the house. Can I expect things to go wrong soon? Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I dont care about the weight(Im young and 'think' im strong!) and I crave an all tube monster. Help! My budget is right around $1,000.

2. No great secret here - get it serviced (and fully checked out) by a reputable tech. when you first get it.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I don't know much and I hate to rain on your parade. I waited 3 months for an Ampeg SVt-2Pro (new !) I finally got it and I couldn't get any volume out of it on full gain and high master volume. I refused to mess with it and see if I could get it running. I sent it back the same day and got credit (0ver $2000) and ordered the svTCL which I should have ordered in the first place. Live and learn. OK in your case being that its a CL purchase, I suggest that you take over to a certified service repair center pay the initial bench charge ($50 to $75) and have it checked out. If you have'nt bought it then catch your breath and look around for an SVT CL, even if you pay more, ImO they are more reliable ... Good Luck :cool:

4. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    A few years back, I had bought the svt -cl, played it at rehearsal for about 6 months, never taken out for a show, never really blasted it and always let it warm up for at least 20 mins. After having it for 6 months the protection circuit wouldnt let me power up. Ended up having to replace all 6 power tubes costing me $300. I ended up selling it to pay off the credit card I bought it on, and got the 3 pro(more reliable) but I just don't like my tone at all. So now Im trying to go back to all tube again. I understand this goes with tube territory but damn, did old US- made ampegs break down this quickly? I need that chunky ballzy growl!

5. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    MAN.

Tubes don't ship well sometimes. Coming all the way from Korea could get you in some trouble.

There's no magic inside an SVT2PRO head. It's justa tube amp. It's 70 year old technology. You bang it around and screw up a tube and you'll have an issue. It's the same with any tube amp.

Some of the new tube AMPEG's have little voltage vs protection circuit foibles that needed sorted out but that's about it.

If you buy new you should have a good amp. If you buy from Craig's List you could get anything. I have found "They" won't have a cab available at all if there's an issue with the amp. Bring your own; and play it, play it loud.

BOB

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2 pros are as reliable as any...sometimes they'll work great, sometimes they won't. depends on a lot of different factors.

7. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I have never heard anything to make me think the SVT2 was more or less reliable than other Ampeg heads. I think the SVT2 is great. Its the SVTCL with more options.

8. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    Have you considered replacing the preamp tubes in your 3pro or just getting a tube power amp and using the 3pro as a preamp?

9. Just to be clear, tube power amps are few and far between!

Paul

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    right. almost all of them are only available used.

11. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks for the comments yall. Im going to meet the guy this weekend. Testing it out with my ampeg 410 hlf. This cab should be ok for the head right? I beleive it handles 500watts rms. 2-pro is 300 watts.

12. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    The cab will be good to test reliability of the amp, but it may not make you fall in love with what the amp is really capable of.

I don't have a 2-Pro, but I have an SVT and have tried that into the 410HLF and sounds pretty disappointing compared to what that same amp sounds like when putting it through a 2x15, 6x10, or 8x10.

As far as reliability goes... not sure. Whatever these guys are saying makes sense to me. Take it to a good tech, or at least research to see what exactly is making these 2-pros fail, and change/mod that part to solve the issue.

I also have a 3-pro, and though nice, the all tube SVT (and 2-pro I'm guessing) is a whole different ball game - a much nicer one that is :p

13. ...I own all three (cl, pro2 &3) and though never been 'on tour' have not had any bad or good luck with one over the other; they seemed to have thier own issues/inherent to the design that others have alluded to... .

Only other thought is maybe due to the inertia factor being that the cl/pro-2 weigh more, the potential damage from high impacts are more... . (That said, my pro-2 was dropped and had to have some stuff re-soldered.)

Life in the fast lane...:hyper:

Jimmyjobob

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    dropping any amp can result in breakage. tube amps aren't any more inherently prone to breaking when dropped.

15. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    Of course things sometimes go wrong with a complicated piece of equipment like the 2pro. But, I had mine dropped by my guitar player, who was only trying to help but is no longer allowed to handle the thing, and it went down hard. One of the handles on the front was bent at a disconcerting angle. I tried it as soon as I got home and...it worked fine.

16. I've never played a gig where a tube amp has failed.

SS amps on the other hand, they seem to fail left right and center :p

17. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    One of the great advantages of the new lightweight heads is that they provide a small but viable backup. My SVT VR has never let me down on a gig, but I have peace of mind from knowing that my little Markbass is there is the bag should I need it.

18. Williamsburgjim spoke the truth: a big part of what makes tube amps a little more prone to breakdowns is the fact that they're heavy and awkward to carry, which causes them to be hit against things and dropped. Plus, the best ones are old, and components have a limited life expectancy. But I've not had a tube amp failure at a gig that I can remember. The SVT4-Pro that owned in the 90s became a very unreliable amp. My tube amps have been rock steady.

19. I dont like ANY ampegs, they all sound the same and they are just loud. Invest in something that sounds good

20. It's the tone the OP want's and a tone many many many people like.

If you want "just loud", get a PA power amp and run a mic preamp into it. Ampegs are heavily coloured amps, they aren't "just loud".

I'll admit, it isn't for everyone, but there are certainly a lot of people who do like them. But the concept of them being "just loud" is pretty absurd.

I wouldn't even lump them as sounding the same, compare the B series to the Pro series hybrids to the all tube classics and pro. All very different sounding.

Either way, if you don't like it, don't play it. But it is obviously a sound the OP is after.