1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg svt 2 pro poping noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eulogy77, Nov 4, 2010.

1. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    hello there, i have an ampeg svt 2 pro, its been doing a poping noise, it does not affect the power nor sound, its not to loud but the louder i go on the power and or gain the louder it sounds, its not disturbing loud, it comes one once i switched from the stand by, in my guessing i think it might be a faulty cap, but no sure, if you any advice it would be very appreciated, one think i forgot to mention the driver tubes (12au7 x 2 and 12ax7 x 1) are unbalanced, could that be the problem, i just don want to spend any more money on getting robed by the techs (deltronics in Chicago) thanks

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If the noise increases with the gain control it is probably in the very first stage of the unit.

Very possibly it is caused by the tube V1, which is the only tube that is before the gain control. In fact, only half of V1 is before the gain control.

I'd try swapping that tube with another 12AX7 before getting too excited about taking it to a tech.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    how do driver tubes get unbalanced? is there something i've been missing? i thought they were just plug in and go.

4. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    thanks JT, i did what you suggested and the noise still there, i actually tried all the preamp tubes and driver tubes and nothing, im thinking it will be a cap, im not taking it to the tech anymore, ill try to change parts myself, i just need to get the capacitor tester, it is actually interesting to do all of this myself, the tubes where unbalanced when i bought them, dont know if this could be a problem,any more input will be greatly appreciated