1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 2 Pro Stays in Protect Mode

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Xandrell, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    At least that's what I think it's doing. It worked fine one day and now when powering up, the led stays red. Nothing happens when taking it out of standby. Normally I would get that pop when coming out of standby. The only thing that works is the fan. No tubes light up or bias LEDs.
    My beloved amp is dead.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dead power tube and resistor protector maybe?

3. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Shop time!!!

4. Yep Tech Time alright! :(

5. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    I don't know if 2-Pros had this issue, but SVT-VRs had a thing that prevented it from coming out of standby if it wasn't seeing enough voltage. I ran into this problem running the amp during rehearsals when there was lots of equipment on the same circuit. It's an easy bypass and it worked fine, but the 2-Pro may not even have that circuit in there.

6. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Well, I got it back from Jeff at Andrews Amp Lab and a plastic connector to the transformers melted so he soldered it directly to the board. There's a slew of connectors in there but this particular one had a lot of current passing through it. 2 of the 3 driver tubes were weak so he replaced 2 12UA7s. I actually use the pre and drive more generously now, before there was too much dirt. I didn't realize how much I missed this thing until I fired it up. All's well.

quickervicar likes this.
  7. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Well that's a nice ending

8. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    That's great you got it fixed! I don't know much about tube amps but if something melted because of excessive current, did he fix the underlying issue which is why it had an excessive current draw to begin with, or could that have been caused by the power tube issue? My experience is with automotive wiring and DC batteries so I could be off base entirely. I just don't settle with paying a repair bill until i know exactly what was checked and replaced, and get a possible reason as to why something failed.

9. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    He thinks it's a quality problem where these plastic connectors are used for easy connecting of the parts during assembly. The connector itself malfunctioned or shorted and melted. He mentioned this is one place a plastic connector shouldn't be or at least a better quality connector where such high voltage passes. He's seen a lot of these connectors go bad.

blubass likes this.
  10. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I've come to the conclusion it's much louder too. Sounds incredible with the WA76 comp in the effects loop with a Lehle Sunday Driver boosting the signal into the comp. It's the best it's ever sounded with lot's of headroom. :hyper: