1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 2 Pro, Tube selection help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by holle8e3, May 25, 2012.

1. holle8e3

holle8e3

Aug 5, 2007
    Hey guys and gals,
    Its that time, re-tube time. I've got an SVT 2 Pro running the stock tubes, an 810E, Fender '75 jazz and '57 p-bass. I'm looking to re-tube and I'm not sure where to go or which tubes to choose. Ive heard good things about eurotubes and they are telling me JJ KT88's ECC82's and ECC83S's. This seems like a totally different direction from the standard 6550's 12AX7's and 12AU7's. Has anyone had luck with a KT88 setup?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    JJ's KT-88's are hard to beat. Spacious on the bottom end with a pretty smooth or even slightly compressed higher range (my experience with the Bass 400).

I put Tung Sol RI 6550's in my 400 recently. I don't feel like they have quite the same output as the JJ KT88s in this head and they seem a little flatter in terms of frequency response. I chose them for their rough/crusty grit and because my cab already has more than enough low end. They are great tubes though and can be found for a little less $ than JJ's.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why is it time to re-tube? Is there any issue? If you just want new tubes, that's fine, but if you don't have any issues, there's no need. And if you do re-tube, you also need to re-bias. I'm more than proficient with electronics, but all the amp work goes to an amp technician.

4. +1 Tubes don't need to be replaced just because you feel that they should be. And, as usual, Rick is right on the ball about the biasing.

5. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    ECC82=12AU7
    ECC83=12AX7