1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 2 Pro Vs. Ampeg SVT Classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisMan123, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    which one would you buy and why?

I have decided that I do want an all tube amp and after playing the Ampeg SVT Classic, I was pretty impressed, not blown away right off the bat, but I was liking the sound for the most part. No one carries the SVT 2 Pro though...

the reason I am interested in the SVT 2 Pro over the Classic is because it has the 9 band graphic EQ which is something I really like to have. It is practically identical to the Classic in all it's features and has the 9 band graphic EQ and one extra tube in it as well. So I am assuming it is basically the same sound considering it's coming from the same major company that uses the same parts and all and I compared them side by side for their specs and they are the same thing. One just has the classic look and the other has a more modern appearance and is rackmountable.

So I just want to hear everyone's opinion on which amp they would get and why.

2. i would go with the svt 2 pro, i have played both and i much prefer the 2 pro, i have heard that it does have some reliablitly issues though, although i never had a problem with the one i owned, the classic to me just didnt sound like i thought it should, was a bit of a letdown, not that its a bad amp, just not what i was expecting from an all tube ampeg

3. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    i chose the 2-pro. i never use the 9-band eq though. but the drive-function is fantastic.

i never had an issue with my 2-pro.

sandmann

4. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    yeah I never heard there were issues with the reliability of the SVT 2 pro... that's something to watch out for and be careful of... thanks, but SVT 2 pro seems more appropriate for me because of the drive knob and the EQ.. and the fact it is rackmountable and I won't have to buy a separate road case just for the head itself, I can rack it right along with any other stuff I have.

5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I have owned both, along with just about every amp that Ampeg has ever made. The 2 Pro is my all-time favorite amp. I have never had any kind of issues with it; I've even put mine through some hoops and hurdles. Tone wise, it growls, it cranks, it punches, and has the finest overdriven preamp section that I've ever heard. The CL is also a wonderful amp, but its gain stage seems a bit weak and less versatile than a 2 Pro. The 2 Pro also offers the convenience and protection of being rackmountable. With the weight of a CL, it is very hard to cart it around without banging it up on the truck, trailor, stage, etc. Get a form-fitting road case if you go with a CL (even though it'll add 20+ lbs. to the weight!). The graphic EQ on the 2 Pro allows you to get just about any tone out of any bass. My vote is obviously on the 2 Pro. :)

6. I've used both-not owned either- but I too found the DRIVE control on the 2 PRO VERY nice! CL is nice, but the IIpro more versastile IMHO. Remember if U DON'T NEED 300 tube watts the V4BH is a KILLER head & thru a NV610 or SVT810E sound nice & loud & tube drive is ALL there!!! :)

7. I own a classic, and have p[layed a 2 pro many times. They are both very different. I prefer the simple design of the classic as i want that rock tone and growl.

8. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    I ordered the SVT 2 Pro because I think it seems to be a more versatile amp and I won't have to get a fitted road case for it and it has the EQ to diversify my sound, thanks for all your help

9. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    I have a 45 day return policy on it, so if I really don't like it, I'll just return it and try something else

10. Good luck with it dude, they are ampeg so they the majority of them are awesome. Congrats

11. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    I have a problem with my svt2 pro that I think can be important. If you look for an always distorted live sound, It's the best choice. But when you need clean sound in live situations (when you need lots of power), you'll find yourself in trouble. I've played all a blues concert in distortion cause I need a little more volume, and right, ampeg tube overdrive is pretty cool, but if you're playing a slow blues it could be a little crappy...
    Anyway, if you don't push up gain to distortion (very easy to get), you'll have a smooth warm beautiful sound, when you pump it up, you sound like a metal guitar player.

12. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    i doubt that ... with the drive knob set fully counterclockwise my 2 pro only distorts at volumes i would never reach in a band situation (though i have to admit that i am not playing stadions). it stays clean up to very high volumes.

i play mine through a 6x10 cabinet and get very good results with that combination.

regards,

sandmann

13. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Can you tell me what bass you play through the svt2? And what is exactly your equalizzation? Someone tells me that to get the more clean sound possible, I must use th graphic EQ and boost with the level switch. I usually don't use the EQ, and seems to be a little strange for a 2300$ head I've to use this subterfuge to obtain the right volume.
    I don't play stadions, but sometime can happend that I play without stage amplification in little clubs, and in this situation I can't stay clean, expecially if i play my jazz bass close to the bridge and with bridge pickup only.

I understand you can't bellieve me but man, when you say that you have so much clean volume that you can't use it all, I can't believe you:oops:)
    So please, tell me the secret (if there are secrets) to get all this huge clean volume

14. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    Yeah, I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I had band practice today, and I can understand what you're saying terraplane. I find it to be distorted at times, when the full band is playing the guitars cover up the distortedness.. but i notice it when i play alone by myself in between songs...

I feel the power that the amp can give... but i really feel it when i stand right in front of the cabinet.. but when i back up like 5 feet, it's not nearly thumping and powerful and I feel it becomes too distorted when I turn it up more to get that sound i want from a distance... I keep the gain pretty low too and I use the EQ... I feel for the money I paid, it's not really doing it's job.

Maybe I'm not using the settings to the best of their ability... if anyone has settings that work well for them and give a nice clean sound, let me know.

Also, right now I'm using it with an SWR 8x10 Megoliath I borrowed from a friend until my Ampeg 8x10 arrives, I hope that the ampeg cab makes a big difference because that will decide whether or not I am keeping this amp or returning it for something else.

15. Mr Matt

Mr Matt

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Here's a setting that works for me, you can try it as a starting point and go from there.
    This setting is for my SVT II Pro with 2 Carvin 810's (tweeters turned off) which I prefer over the Ampeg's.

Gain - set/use as over all volume control
    Ultra Low button - In
    Bright button - Out
    Drive - 3 o'clock
    Bass - 1 o'clock
    Mid - 1 o'clock
    Treb - 2 o'clock
    Master - Full up
    Ultra High button - Out
    Graphic - Out

Again, this works for me, my setup & my ears. You may not find this suitable to you ears, but it can be used as a starting point if you're having trouble dialing in a sound.

Good luck!

16. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    what is the midrange knob position? And correct me if I'm wrong, but drive on 3 o'clock means almost at full power...right?

17. Mr Matt

Mr Matt

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Sorry, freq @ 1. The drive controls the amount "distortion" the preamp produces. Fully counterclock for clean, fully clockwise for distortion.
    The manual says to set the Gain to just under Peak lights flash and use the Master as the Overall volume. I guess I'm a little backwards, but it works for me.
    If you got a manual there are 4 configurations to use as stating points, Jazz, Funk, Rock & Country.
    If you don't have one, the Ampeg site has them to download.

18. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    thanks man!:)

19. ChrisMan123

ChrisMan123

Aug 6, 2007
    yeah i used the rock settings to start with.. and yeah i was going to ask about that peak light, is it good if that lights up? it seems to light up all the time when i play and it bothers me i don't know if thats okay

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What do you like better in the Carvin cabs over the Ampeg?

Is the Carvin sealed off boxes like the Ampeg?