Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-2 PRO vs SVT-4 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzon, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    What's the difference in the sound between those? Similar?

:eyebrow:

2. hard to explain, one is all tube one isnt

SVT II (non Pro) is better :p

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used an SVT-4 pro for a few years. It has a lot of connectivity on the back that the SVT-II probably doesnt. The tone on it is pretty excellent. It weighs about 40lbs if I remember.

If I could go back in time, I would have gotten and SVT-II instead.

4. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    So, the SVT-2 sounds more warmer and tubey?
    And the SVT-4 sounds........??

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas

less warm.. less tubey..

it nice, but the SVT-II is the deal..

6. Im saying SVT II, the old one, not the new pro model

It has less do-dah's, but is the ****ing buisness

(PS, dont look at my thread on whirring noises :p )

7. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    hehe...

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Basically, in my point of view, SVT-II, or even the 2-Pro>SVT 4-Pro in everything except portability.

9. true, and from what ive heard the 4 pro is pretty good, and all tube isnt for everyone

and it isnt funny my amps making wierd noises!!!

10. Those two amps actually make a pretty good base for a tube vs SS comparison if you wanna hear the difference...

11. not a completelly fair comparison id say, with the 4 pro being hybrid

they both have thier seperate applications anyway

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have been using a svt pro 4 for about 2 years now and I love it great sound and more then enough power. When I was going to buy it I was looking at the svt II as well and it sounds great but it came down to do I want to lug a 90 lbs amp around so I want with the svt pro 4 at like 40+lbs

13. Yeah, it does come down to if your willing to cart the weight about for your sound

and come on, its not a gram over 80lbs :p

14. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Don't say anything you know nothing about!
    The Svt-4 PRO is NOT a typical SS Amp.

15. this is true, its not just got a tube pre, i forgot it has a mosfet power section, so it reacts more like a tube power section than a normal SS power section

16. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    A few questions on this. What is a "normal SS power section" then? Also, in what way does any MOSFET power section react more like a tube power section? I'm quite curious as to how this notion was conceived.

17. A normal SS power section is what you get in say a peavey max series amp

Jerrold Tiers could probably explain this better than me, the its something along the lines of one of the pre tubes acting kind-of like a driver tube, and leadin on the power section, so the power section has a more dynamic reaction or the like

18. OK Larzon - please explain?

19. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I think I had a bad day yesterday - Sorry for that.
    SVT-4 have 3 x 12AX7 in the preamp, and the sound is warm and punchy.
    IMO, SS amps in most cases have a sterile sound, and the SVT-4 is definitely not sterile sounding.
    OK, I'm now a happy SVT-4 owner :)

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The difference between Mosfet and "normal SS"? The only other type of SS amp that I'm aware of being used in amps is a Bipolar one. Mosfets weren't around until about the early 90s, and they have much higher potential wattage than Bipolars, which top off at about 200-300 watts. Today, most all bass heads have Mosfets, and while the sound is a bit different from a Bipolar, it does not sound more like tubes. The SVT 4-Pro is a tube preamp with a Mosfet power section. I dunno if there are any tube drivers in it, though I would imagine there are some. That can make the sound a bit warmer, but, in my opinion, while tubes are heavy, nothing sounds quite like em.