Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Mar 28, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I went to local music store yesterday , there are 2 heads in mint condition with the same price approx US 600,-:

AMPEG SVT 2 Pro, Premier Edition and
    SWR SM 400S

I tried and like both, the SVT has more options and versatility with the floor switch etc. but very heavy, the sound a bit ballsy. The SWR is sweeter , lighter by much and quicker response.

Which one is more worthwhile? I just want to buy any one of them for collection.
  2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    these are two *very* different heads. the svt will give you a more old school tube sound while the swr will give you cleaner more modern sound. i would try them both and see which one you like more.

as much as i love my swr sm 400s, faced with that choice i might go with the svt. $600 for a used swr sm 400s is not a very good deal, you can find them used for $500-550. $600 used for an svt 2 pro, on the other hand, sounds very good to me. be sure to make sure all the tubes are in good shape, though.

3. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    Thanks, I manage to get the SVT 2 Pro for only US 400. Good deal I think, I only miss the mid range freq. selector knob.

4. You got yourself a great deal!! Look those up on eBay, and you'll see. If you decide you don't like it, you have the potential to double your money.

Congrats on the Ampeg!!

5. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have an SVT 2 premier edition and i love it! Loud as hell and a huge sound i would recommend that you get the Ampeg!! Pretty cheap price too!!
  6. I have heard great news about the sound of the SVT2 PRO, but horror stories about its reliability (or lack thereof). Could anyone comment on this?

7. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ive had my SVT-2 pro for only 6 months but the last owner who had it for 8.5 years said that he never had problems with it. When i bought it i had it checked by my amp tech and he said all it needed was a revalve! So no reliability problems here only the ocassional service and revalve which you have to expect with an all valve head!!!
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I had an SVT II Pro for a long while and it was totally reliable and sounded sounding rig I've ever had. But, I quickly tired of the portability problems when I started doing a variety of gigs.

FWIW, I'm using an SWR SM-400S now (went through some other stuff between the SVT and this one) and am happy with it. The tone is kind of lacking in character compared to the SVT, but not enough to negate the huge weight loss and portability gain.

That IS a great deal on the SVT, though. I have to wonder if maybe it doesn't have problems of some kind.
  9. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    Thanks, I have tested on and on and nothing wrong with it, as I said I missed the mid freq. knob, I'll find the replacement with other similar knob. The tubes are all ok , even the foot switch was functioning well. It is verywell maintained , look like new, just a small paint scratch in the body.
    The overdrive sound wow! The seller told me that it has been there for 2 years , nobody wants it because of the weight.

Finally got the SM 400 s too, I swaped with my Warwick Corvette.