1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 200t combination URGENT !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nevs, Apr 12, 2006.

1. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Hello,

I have a an Ampeg SVT 200t (200 at 8ohm; 350 at 4 ohm)

My speaker is a AMPEG 410HLF (4 ohm)

can I connect an extra SVT 210He (8ohm) or will this cause problems???

URGENT!! Thanks !!!

2. You can surely plug them in, but the resulting load on your SVT 200t will be 2.667 ohms, which *may* require too much current from the amplifier. This *may* cause the amp to run too hot and shut down.

It's a very gray area, but as long as you're not doing anything really crazy with the head in terms of volume, you'll probably be okay. The best way to do this is try it and see, while keeping a close eye on everything. It won't cause anything to explode right away.

Now, if you're doing this to get more volume, you are possibly going to be fighting a losing battle with only 350 watts. In general, adding speakers is a great way to get more volume, but if the reason for doing this is because you can't be heard, you may need to start looking at more amplifier power.

Hopefully this helps.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have an SVT 200T from the late 80s. I bought it when I was gigging super hard, and it never let me down once. Great amp, I absolutely love it. That being said, I would not recommend that you load it below 4 ohms.

1. I have had it apart. The power supply is not the most robust in the world. I would not want to encourage it to pull more current.

2. I have pushed that amp as hard as it could be pushed (regularly flicking limiter) at 4 ohms for 2-2.5 hours straight driving a 410 and a 115 cab. It never failed, which is good, but I have gotten the heat sinks on the back hot enough to burn you severely enough to discolor the skin. This suggests to me that the amp has no thermal protection. I think that If you got it hot enough, it would cook, not simply shut down and reset when it cooled. Of course, I may be wrong on that one. Although, as much as I abused that thing, I would have thought I would have shut it down if it was possible.

I love those amps, but they are pretty weak by today's standards.

It is true that it's probably not going to do much to it if you don't push it hard, but I assume you need more out of it, or you wouldn't be adding the cabinet. In short, it's my opinion that in order to get more output from the 210 and 410 combined than you are getting with the 410HLF standing alone, you'd push the amp beyond safe limits.

4. djlive

djlive

Apr 12, 2006
    I WOULD NOT RUN MORE THAN A 4 OHM LOAD w/ SVT amp!
    I tried this with a ampeg 410HLF(4 ohm cab) & swr 2x10 (8 ohm) cab....talked it over with some collegues...don't really worry too much....now I have a blown speaker in the 2x10 and the horn in the 410 has high, tinkling sound in the 9kHz range. Has any one else experienced this?

Just made these purchases in the last 4 - 5 months and have been displeased with the sound from this ampeg set-up, even before the trouble. The SVT doesn't seem to provide enough power and the gain stage stinks! I am guessing I damaged the amp making this bone-head play.

Any body with comments or suggestions?

5. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Hey thanks guys!!

Then what would you suggest?

Replace the amp or the enclosure?....I need more power!!

By the way, it's for a double bass!

6. Which SVT do you have? If you've blown a woofer, it sounds like you needed more volume than the whole rig could provide. Running too low an impedance is not likely to be the cause for your speaker problems.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    IIRC, it does, but, being a bipolar device amp, it can safely get quite a bit hotter than a mosfet type. I think it has an actual thermal switch instead of a little sensor .

They don't let you have super hot heatsinks anymore, labeled or not. So most newer amps have them either inside, or so big that they never get very hot.

In any case, no, don't go below 4 ohms. That amp won't like it.

8. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    OK,

Thank you for your help.
    Bad luck...
    I'd better start looking for another amp then.....

Cheers
    Sven