1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-210HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RaginRog, Sep 12, 2010.

1. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Any reason why they discontinued making this cab, aside from them stopping USA production of certain products.

I was looking for a nice (used) 210 cab I could use with my Peavey Tour TNT 115, and found this one at a local Guitar Center. Great sound with the Peavey, and with my Markbass cmd 102p. I wasn't a fan of the horn, so I turned it down, but it was quite punchy...very nice defined lows.

l_d0fb1ec008fc4de28463dbee76a761e5.png

2. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I have an SVT-210HE also, but mine has feet, no wheels. I love mine, great tone. Is yours back ported too?

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Most likely didn't sell enough of them. The 410/610/810 stuff is the tonnage in general.

4. Hey,

I just bought one and am totally frustrated because it sounds screwed. I was told by thr service center after they fixed it that it was just the protection circuit. I took it home and it it still screwed. The tweeter hisses and when I hit a note it cracks up. I was thinking of getting rid of it but now after reading what you have to say I am having second thoughts.

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Don't blame the cab if you hear hissing noise! The speaker does not produce sound, it only reproduces what signal the amp delivers. The hiss comes from your amp.

SVT-210HE seems to use a different 10" than both SVT-410HE and SVT-410HLF. If I remember correctly, my SLM-Ampeg broschure lists the 210 as having drivers with cast frame and vented voice coil.

/Alexander

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well, if the techs are morons, the tweeter may be getting LF instead of just the HF only. In that case it will sound nasty, it will "crack up" when you hit a note. basically it will be ADDING harmonics, and not good ones.

AND it may be getting nearly direct amp output, so it will be quite a bit louder than it should be, INCLUDING THE HISS.

So, maybe the speaker IS making the noise, or making it worse, because it isn't/wasn't connected up right.

7. Thanks guys. I plugged my 1x15 into both high and low of the GK800RB head and it is clean. I then plugged the 2x10 in both high and low of the GK800RB and I have to keep the levels way low for it to play clean. If I turn the attenuator on the 2x10 I get a high hiss. If I hit a note on my bass with any type of agression it cracks up.

8. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Both of the amps I tried it with made it sound great. I played it through my Peavey Tour TNT 115 combo, as well as my Markbass cmd 102 combo. As an extension cab, sharing the work with other speakers, it sounds very nice. I'm not a fan of tweeters, and keep the volume low if any, so I've not heard any hiss from mine. I think that if used on its own, you may be overworking it if you think it's going to attain very high volumes. Personally, I think it'll handle reasonable volumes, in small venues just fine, but I'd never expect it to fill a room on it's own. I don't think that's what Ampeg intended it to be used for, let alone any 2x10 extension.

I may play in a punk band, but have covered Modern, classic, and pop rock in gigging bands, and happen to be a "tone" whore. I feel confident in my opinion that this cab sounds fine on it's own (at a moderate volume), but better with another cabinet sharing the load.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021