Ampeg SVT-212 AV buzz / rattle - problem / help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Churchmans, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Churchmans

Churchmans

May 19, 2012
    Hello all,

I have been playing an Aguilar TH500 into a Ampeg 212 AV for about a year. I've been very happy with it - sounds great.

Weekly rehearsals. Only 3 or so gigs out of the house. Gain at noon and master doesn't seem to float much higher than 9 o'clock. Nothing major.

Tonight I noticed that it is buzzing / rattling near the speaker. I couldn't quite pinpoint the source. Applying pressure to the edges didn't seem to locate it.

- not the grill.
    - I tightened all screws.

Happens at moderately low volume on most notes under A string. Couldn't even record at a low volume without being annoyed.

Could it be a wire touching the cone? I don't really want to have to take the speaker out but that seems like the next option.

Any other suggestions?
    I'm hoping for the best ...

Thank you in advance!
    This will slowly drive me crazy.

2. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Air leak around speaker?

3. Amp sitting directly on the cab vibrating?
    Try isolating?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    A wire touching the cone would be vibrating more than one note. Try gently pushing around the dustcaps with even pressure using your fingertips. If you feel rubbing a speaker is shot, and if not, it should be fine. Vibrations on a single note can be caused by loose padding inside the cab. Not sure what they use in that cab, but it should be attached everywhere with no flapping. It it flaps anywhere, re-attach it.

Also, try it in a couple different rooms to rule out something in the room causing the rattle. This has happened to me many times, mistaking a room rattle for a cab rattle.

SirMjac28 and Gluvhand like this.
  5. I came across the sympathetic vibration thing with my new cabs. I was sure one was blown. It turned out being a picture frame rattling. It was always F#.

yonkrz likes this.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    My favorite cab l hope you get it sorted out.

7. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Check the driver hasn't worked a little loose did you check the screws on the driver itself.

Or try listening for an air leak. Which can happen even with ported cabs.

And as already said try the cab in a different room.

8. Churchmans

Churchmans

May 19, 2012
    Ok. I'm on the road for a few days. I'll have to try these things out when I get back.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Hearing others say they were fooled after being so sure of the worst is reassuring.

I'm hoping for the best.

9. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a wooden brace inside that goes from the front baffle to the back of the cab. Mine was rattling - to fix it, I loosened it, put some glue in on both ends and put a screw through the front. - I also may have installed an L bracket at the rear end (gigitty) I can't remember.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. I'll sometimes take the rear plate that has the input/output sockets out and peer in there with a torch to have a quick look-see . .. then if I kain't find the problem. ...then tackle a speaker . Good luck with it

11. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY

I just got a 212av and I had this same rattle problem. I screwed a 0.5” screw where this brace is from the front, and no more rattle

Frunobulax and Bass 45 like this.
  12. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    it started to rattle again, and I believe it was the screw type. I put in a 2” drywall screw and it’s been solid the last 6 months.

13. Slaplord88

Slaplord88

Jun 11, 2013
    @Churchmans did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem. Recently posted how I wasn't really digging my new (used) svt212av. Well, I think part of what I was hearing and then confirmed at rehearsal is that it's rattling/buzzing/distorting even at really low volumes at the low A and lower. The previous owner of the cab already screwed the brace down through the front baffle and seemingly sloppily glued it (they're not glued from the factory right?). I tightened it, and added another 2" screw for good measure. Still buzzing - low A and lower. Both drivers cause the effect, individually and when working together (tried each individually with my amp set to 8 ohms). It almost sounds like distortion that seems to really respond to the low A - that's the frequency. I've tightened every single screw that's part of the cab. I can't for the life of me figure out where the buzzing is coming from. It's like the entire cab is resonant at a low A. Increasing bass in the amp's eq increases the problem. Not sure where to go from here or what else to check - really at a loss. Cab sounds great when playing higher notes.