1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg svt 3 or GK 1001 what would you pick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    I'm currently thinking about buying either a Ampeg svt III or a Gallien Krueger 1001rb amplifier.What do you think are the pro's and con's of these amps and which one would you choose?

2. I've only tried the Ampeg svt-III and i really liked the sound i was hearing. I played it though a PR-410, and it was just fabulous. i actuly almost bought one, but i was imformed that their power rating givin by ampeg isnt near the actual amount when compaired to other amps. I had always thought that the reason why i'd have to push it hard at GC because of the acustics, but then i compaired it to other amps, and it was true. I compaired it to the SWR-350 and the SWR was louder, not better tone, but had more power (that was with both heads though a Goliath III cab.) I dont remember who said it, but somone said that when it was compaired the Eden Wt-300(300w) to the Ampeg SVT-III (suposidly 450w), the Eden was louder. Other than the amount of power, the tone was exellent. I ended up buying an Eden WT-800 and D-4x10xlt.

[Edited by Muttluk on 12-12-2000 at 01:22 AM]

3. Your profile shows that you are already using the 1001RB. Are you considering buying another?

I would say stay away from the Ampeg. It is seriously underpowered, and has an annoying pre-set midrange scoop. I had one for a week and sold it because I could not get any usable tones out of it.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    No I'm not really doubling up I was just wondering how the svt 3 would staCK up against my G&K. I love this amp especially with with my Stingray5. Monster punch on the funk, ya dig.? A buddy of mine has one but plays through 2- 15's so he's got a dramatically different sound than mine and my 4-10 boogies but I have'nt had a chance to compare yet. I think more people are coming forward that are unhappy with ampeg so farfar(might save me the trouble). Thanx for the feedback though.