Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg svt 3 or GK 1001 what would you pick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm currently thinking about buying either a Ampeg svt III or a Gallien Krueger 1001rb amplifier.What do you think are the pro's and con's of these amps and which one would you choose?

2. I've only tried the Ampeg svt-III and i really liked the sound i was hearing. I played it though a PR-410, and it was just fabulous. i actuly almost bought one, but i was imformed that their power rating givin by ampeg isnt near the actual amount when compaired to other amps. I had always thought that the reason why i'd have to push it hard at GC because of the acustics, but then i compaired it to other amps, and it was true. I compaired it to the SWR-350 and the SWR was louder, not better tone, but had more power (that was with both heads though a Goliath III cab.) I dont remember who said it, but somone said that when it was compaired the Eden Wt-300(300w) to the Ampeg SVT-III (suposidly 450w), the Eden was louder. Other than the amount of power, the tone was exellent. I ended up buying an Eden WT-800 and D-4x10xlt.

[Edited by Muttluk on 12-12-2000 at 01:22 AM]

3. Your profile shows that you are already using the 1001RB. Are you considering buying another?

I would say stay away from the Ampeg. It is seriously underpowered, and has an annoying pre-set midrange scoop. I had one for a week and sold it because I could not get any usable tones out of it.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No I'm not really doubling up I was just wondering how the svt 3 would staCK up against my G&K. I love this amp especially with with my Stingray5. Monster punch on the funk, ya dig.? A buddy of mine has one but plays through 2- 15's so he's got a dramatically different sound than mine and my 4-10 boogies but I have'nt had a chance to compare yet. I think more people are coming forward that are unhappy with ampeg so farfar(might save me the trouble). Thanx for the feedback though.