Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 power question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've got a standard US-issue SVT-3 (older model, with binding posts instead of a Speakon connector), and I'm going to be moving back to the UK later this year. To save the hassle of having to sell this head and buy a new one (for probably quite a bit more money) back in the UK, does anyone know if the head will run on 240V as well as 110V? On the back, it specifies that if run on 240V, a different slow-blow fuse is needed, but not much else.

Any help is appreciated! :D

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Why don't you send a mail to ampeg first

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Tried that. No reply. :meh:

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I looked it up, just to be sure.

Looks like all the SVT-3PRO have been made with transformers having taps for export voltages. So yes, it should be internally convertible.

Some older ones were made for 115/230V. Newer are made with taps for 240V as well. In practice I doubt it matters much, that is a 5% difference, and mains voltages typically can vary 10%.

The service department can get your tech the information for the conversion.

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Try calling them and leaving an email to send the info. I asked Eden the same thing as I was thinking of ordering a wt550 from the us and they sent me a drawing with the info for an expert to do it

6. Ampeg generally do reply (if a little slow) - they helped me converting my svpcl to 240v too. You could always call them?
    They won't give you any info for doing this conversion yourself tho - only to a techie, they'll only say if its possible

I'd be a little careful if you've got a 230v trannie in there - make sure you surge protect it. (My previous 230v amp went POOOF! in a grey cloud one day cos of that.)
    Good Luck