Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svt 3 pro + big room + not being mic'd =

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 23, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    having your rig be underpowered and sound like crap.

:scowl: :crying: :mad:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If confronted with such an unfortunate circumstance, it is better to dial out the low-lows and throw midrange into the room than to have the amp fart and distort trying to push out low bass and struggle.

Not ideal, but better.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    good suggestion. i will defintely take that into consideration next time. i'm just not a huge fan of mids, but i will try it.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not if it's mated to a Schroeder, it isn't.....

:smug:

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    SVTIII + room + no PA?? It means you will be wishing you had brought along a good combo amp for more support? :eyebrow:

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    That's what I was gonna say *L*

I play every sunday in a large sanctuary (seats 500+, vaulted cieling, VERY live sound) with my SVT-3PRO and DI out into the PA system (1200 watt amps a 2 1x18" Subs...) and use a small cab as a monitor...

What cabs are you running? Are you pushing the full 450 watts?

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    That SVTIII needs to be paired up with a Peavey XXL 212 Combo. ;)

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Shawn, my man...... you've been crying and suffering and pleading over this SVT 3Pro for what...... 3 months now? C'mon dude, how long are you gonna put up with it?

Your in a hardcore band, and hardcore bands are always ridiculously loud... which means PA support is a friend. But if you dont get that at selective gigs, then you will SUFFER. There's no more to it than that..... 2 loud guitar players, a loud drummer, and a screaming front man will kill your 450Watts and 610 cab.

My suggestion is to go pre-power. Pick yourself up an Ampeg preamp and a QSC RMX850, and stash your 3Pro as a practice amp or backup head (cuz ya never know).

But for now... more mids will help you a lot. They maximize the power. I know it might not be your happiest tone... but at a gig, I'd say volume > tone... in most situations at least.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Or get an Ampeg SVT-CL with a Bergie 610 and/or 215. (you can substitute another good cab combo here)

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Yes, tubes would solve your problems for power. The only question is if tubes are for you. If so, then you'd be fine pairing a CL or SVT-II with your 610 cab. Give em eash a test drive sometime, do it soon... just to save yourself from another gig that frusterates you.