Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 PRO Fan Noise....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timmarks, Mar 9, 2006.

1. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    My SVT 3 is working well but the fan is on all of the time and kind of loud. I only notice it at home and quiet gigs--but it's definitely an issue. It's still under warranty (thanks ampeg!!) so maybe I can get it fixed if this is not right--is this happening to anyone else??

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The SVT3PRo has a temperature-controlled fan.

If you mean it is on "high speed" all the time when you say it is "on all the time", that is not correct.

It should be slower when the unit is not heated up, and increase speed with heating.

Two things can cause it to go fast all the time... a failure in the fan circuit, OR a bias setting that caiuses it to be hotter than normal.

Of course if you are playing, it would be expected to speed up since that heats up the unit. And then it may continue to go fast for a while as it cools down.

3. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    Thanks for the info---
    it sounds like it's on high to me. It comes on immediately after I turn on the amp and stays on at that volume and intensity....
    what do you think?? It sounds kind of "squeaky" too....
    I got this amp directly from you guys thru Steve Docraden--I think I can take it to Techstar here in town and have the warranty work done...

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Mine always stayed revved up from day one. I just never paid any attention to it. Happily used it for ten years before moving on to something else.

Kim