Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro Head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Just pickep up an SVT 3 Pro Head and a 4x10 HLF.

Love this thing. Very curious about the amp. Not much info in the Manual just a block diagram. Anyone here know anything about this amp they can give me some info on?

I'm curious how the Tubes set in the circuit? I noticed the manual said some are in the power amp? Phase Inverter? What tube does what?

How many Mosfets are in it?

Any stuff you can think of that the book dont tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this thing just wonder a bit more than the average Joe.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    One thing I can tell you is I would personally put it in a bigger rack to allow more ventilation. It does get warm if you push it, especially at 4 ohms.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thats funny, I just made a thread about me playing on a 3-pro.

Well from what I can gather it puts out 275 watts @ 8ohms and 450 watts @ 4 ohms. I think it is really loud, for what I play anyways.

I was hooked up into a goliath III 8ohm cab, and man I couldn't see needing another 8ohm cab unless I was playing HUGE arenas.

It has a power amp in and a pre amp out. XLR 1 speakon and 2 1/4 connectors. 26 pounds 2u ect.

I think it is very versitle amp, although I think what I'm going to do is get the svp-pro pre amp (which is essentailly the pre amp section from the svt-3pro) and use a power amp with it for the extra head room.

Also the goliath III is an amazing cab.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    8 MM It has a fan? I wanted a rack that just fit it. I wouldnt ever add another unit.Will the fan not cool it?

Anyone else want to take a stab at the tube question? :hyper:

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    It has a fan, but i always try to be on the safe side. It has vents on the top, so I personally would leave an open rack space above it. But I also would play mine at peak volume so it would get hot. 2 of the tubes are drivers for the mosfet amp. the other 3 are preamp tubes.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its always good to have some extra space in your rack, even with a fan, it increases the general air-flow and can help to reduce any chance of failure during extended use.

Besides, those thin racks like to fall over if yer not careful.

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    From the closeup picture it looks like the amp still has it's rubber feet on. If Red took them off and the amp sat a little lower in the rack those top vents you mentioned might have the room they need to breathe?

8. Ah, seems like there has been some changes over the years then. I don't know what year yours was made, 8mmOD, mine is a '92, and the extra vents are on the side.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    Yes I stuck it in with the feet on it the other day. The feet are removed and there is space on top and bottom. I'll have to look and see where the vents are.

The other thing is Ampeg says there needs to be an additional support at the back in the middle. There is a screw hole there but nothing to support it with. Any suggestions? Could I make an L bracket with a hole in it or maybe a U bracket with an adjustment up and down so as to not put a hole in the rack? I suppose I could mack an L bracket with a hole to screw in the amp and a hole going through the rack and bolt it down. I might would want it to have a rubber shock bushing so if it took a lick it would give a little and not break the screw off in the amp.

Its not like I'm going on the road though. Mostly to rehearse at my Drummers house for recording in my Studio and maybe a few gigs a year.

Concerning the cooling. I doubt I'll be running this thing at full throttle that much. Its mostly for recording and rehearsing the bass and drum parts. I origionally bought a BA115HP combo but it wouldnt keep up for playing with a loud arse rock drummer so I took it back and got this thing.

qdog likes this.
  10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    Come to think of it I dont recall seeing any vents on the top or bottom.

11. that looks sweet. i love the 410hlf. congrats!

12. The last one i saw had the vents on the side, i dont think you need to worry too much about extra support, my SVT II is in a case, and is also only held on by 4 rack screws at the front, and is a fair bit heavier than the 3 pro

13. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Ahh for f***ks sake. I have owned too much friggin' Ampeg gear! I parted ways with the 3 pro in favor of an SVP CL awhile back. There are vents on top of the SVP CL preamp, right over the tubes. Maybe I am mixing the two up... wouldn't be the first time. :eyebrow: but I always left a space above the 3 pro regardless. Unless it is a crapy rack, i wouldnt worry too much about "extra" support for amp.