Ampeg SVT-3 Pro Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PorphyaPlayer14, Apr 29, 2002.

1. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    What do you guys think of this setup?
    Ampeg SVT-3 Pro/Ampeg SVT-610HLf
    Has anyone in here tried it and has any comments good or bad. strenghts and weaknesses?
    I happen to love this rig because it gives my nice mids with perfect lows. and I could pump up the volume and it wont give me a huge distortion sound. I also love the 9 band graphic EQ it gives my the nice thick tone I like. I also like the tube preamp sound on it.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    well I have a similar rig. An Ampeg B4r with the 610hlf. I originally bought an SVT3pro but I didn't like the constant distortion in the tone. I couldn't get a clean tone at all out of the amp. I even exchanged it for a different one still in the box and had the smae problem. My ampeg dealer let me trade it back for the full amount against the B4r and now I am very happy. Most of the time I use the B4r (350watts x 2) into the 610hlf and a Carvin 210 wedge. But I can also bridge the Br4's 2 power amps into the 610 hlf for 1000 watts !!! great classic rock rig!
  3. The 3PRO with the 6x10 is a GREAT combination. I've played that rig with a StingRay at the store, along side a 3PRO with a 1x15 and a 4x10. They sound almost the same. I bought the 15 to go with my 3PRO and the 4x10 and am very satisfied with it. I plan on buying a 6x10 later because I love the sound of it. In my oppinion it sounds better than an 8x10 (with this particular head) because it has the high frequency horn and is ported for great low-end response. If you can get it, I would definately reccommend this rig.
  4. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Well my friend cubeenz. I just got it yesterday at Guitar Center. I was really dissapointed at first because when I got to the store they said that they didn't have it and they said that they could get it to me in 2 weeks from Ampeg. But then I asked if they could call the nearest Guitar Center to check if they had it. The other guitar center said that it was on the computer, but that he was actually going to go check to make sure that it was actually there. Then he said he would call back and he did and he said that they didn't have it. Then we were about to leave but he called back again and said that they had just gotten one 2 days before that and that it was in perfect condition and that it was as a floor model They asked me if I wanted it and since I liked the cabinet so much I accepted. I of course could of gotten the 810he for no extra charge but I guess the 610hlf really sounds that much better to me. So then we drove to the other store and we got the SVT-3 Pro and the 610hlf. Ive used it for about an hour and a half and I love it already the other really cool thing is that I gota free Speak on cable A wire for my bass an Free set of strings, A five year warranty on my head and a 3 year warranty on my cabinet. I love bass and now I fell in to the deepest hole of love with this rig. and also by the way its FREAKING LOUD!!. And a message to cb56. im sorry about the way you feel towards the SVT-3pro. But im not sure if you got bad luck twice or something. But I love my setup and im glad you at least found another head you love. Well thanks for repliyng I really appreciate it. And by the way I use this rig with A Fender Standard Jazz Bass.

Your bass player friend, Erik
  5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    a boy and his ampeg...

6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Enjoy that 610hlf, I know I really love mine! As far as the SVT3pro goes I came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with either amp, that's just the way they sound. I think I just prefer the clean sound of the solid state amp over the SVT3.
  7. I used an SVT3PRO with a SVT410HE and either a Carvin 1X18" or a JBL loaded Sonic 1X15" for years and loved it. I have downsized to an Ampeg B248 combo and, when needed, the Sonic cabinet.
  8. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    How much did that set you back? I've been wanting a rig like that and I'm just wondering what it cost you. I'll probably go through GC as well, so that could help a lot.

What type of music do you play, and do you think this rig could be used for a lot of different styles?
  9. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    I got mines cheap compared to what I thought I was paying. I payed 1600 dollars for An Ampeg
    SVT 3-Pro and SVT610HLF at first the total was gonna be like 1900 hundreth or something but my dad did all this negotiating with the guy and he got it for 1600 dollars with free 25 dollar strings a speak on cable which is like 50 dollars and a normal cable for my bass. It took 3 whole months of not eating pizza, renting video games or movies, buying cds, eating any sort of junk food, then I worked like 2 and a half months, 8 hours a day of work while in the only free time I get off school. Well me and my whole band work for equipment in this way. I am barely 14 damn years old and I am already freaking working 8 hours a day instead of skating 8 hours a day. Well I think this equipment can fit any style of music as long as you get the right settings on it. I don't label myself I just play myself. If you want to know what I play bass likelisten to The Nerve Agents- download-The invicible or listen to AFI and listen to the song I will die screaming. Well im not the writter of those songs but thats somewhat my style. also listen to Anti-Flag-Bring out Your dead. Well thanks alot for replying.

Your Bass Player friend Erik
  10. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    A place near my house sells the 3pro for 600, and 8x10 for 700 or 800.. no clue how much a 6x10 would be.

They sell stuff super cheap, they've been in business for a long time, so they make money (mostly from me)
  11. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is it true the the B4r sounds cleaner than the SVT3-pro?
  12. i'm with cb56... i recently bought the B4R over the svt-3Pro, and SVT-350H, and i'm glad i did it. mucho headroom, and tons of tone. i run bridged mono at 1000 watts into an Avatar 4x10. if you dig solid state, it's a very reliable, VErSATILE, great sounding amp. many different amp/speaker combinations are possible... might want to check it out..
  13. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    The B4r is overkill for what I need. What about the B2r?
  14. Does the SVT3 have the same preamp section as the SVT4?
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats on your new rig, PP14!!!!
  16. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have a '94 SVT III Pro (it's actually the second design...the current one is the third). I love the tone and versatility of this amp. Though I no longer use it on stage (but would, in a heartbeat if I needed to) I'll never part with it...a definite keeper.
    No, the preamp section in the SVT 4 Pro is similar, but not identical to the SVT III Pro. Don't know if Ampeg still lists full specs for comparison, but the SVT III Pro was unique within the family for its eq points/rates. Actually talked with the engineer who designed it...he tweaked it for his taste(which must have been very similar to mine:))

17. hey JRBrown, i see what you mean about the B4R being overkill, i thought 350 watts was more than enough for years, but with the extra power i now can really dig in to the dynamics of my own playing. the B2R is great if that's all you need. you probably read on here that it's the same as the SVT-350H. if you are going that route definitly check the B2R, it's about 20lbs lighter, and $100 or so cheaper than the SVT-350H, and it's literally the SAME amp. if i didn't need to cut through 2 loud guitarists (typical, no??), i probably would've settled on the B2R...
  18. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i just started using this rig - can you tell me some EQ settings that you use for that -nice thick tone'???

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats on the new rig!! I run my Ampeg SVT3Pro through an Ampeg 2x10 at rehearsals. These rehearsals can get loud, and the 3Pro keeps up even at 8 ohms... I'm sure it kills through the 610HLF.

I use my fancy-schmancy rack rig at gigs, but wouldn't hesitate to use the 3Pro if the rack rig went into the shop. I suppose the 3Pro is a little gritty, but that's what I consider the Ampeg Sound.
  20. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Well a EQ setting for thick tone was requested and this is the one I'm currently using but since the SVT-3 Pro is so versatile I use many more. I think this should give you a pretty thick tone I would go check but my amp is in the backroom and its freaking cold and I don' want to get out of my cozy room sorry. Have Fun.

Your Bass Player Friend, Erik