Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro or Original SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Im planning on getting an AMpeg basshead. But I was wondering if I should get the Original SVT which is the First type they made, its all tube and is 300watts, I have some GE 6550 tubes ready to put in it if I get it. Or should i get an SVT 3 Pro, its solid state and 350watts. ANy suggestions?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Depends on what you want.
    The Ampeg SVT (Vintage) yield a powerfull rock tone when used with the SVT810
    Now, the SVT is extremely heavy, requires some manteinance and its tone is more suitable for rock situations.

The SVT3-PRO in other hand is very lightweight and its tone is more suitable for many styles of music.
    Its not like the Original SVT in the phatness but I think it will be cheaper, easier to carry, and wont have to pay a lot of money everytime you retube the SVT.

3. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    How about an SVT 2 Pro or the Original SVT?

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The SVT2 Pro is comparable in weight and tone to the Original SVT.
    It is a lot more versatile than the SVT Classic, but has the same issues on manteinance and transport.

Now, If you want the tone..
    The SVT2-PRO is GREAT!!

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    luis
    i'm not so sure about the fact that the svt3 pro is a lightweight. for sure it's lighter than the svt.

in terms of sound, no match for my ears; the winner is svt!!
    i prefer a tone monster head than an head full of buttons and controls when a lot of these settings are not usable for me. i had an svt3 pro and traded it for a spector ns5cr for this idea. i play it with my old all tube head, easy, only 4 controls the on off; the volume, the bass and the high. no frills but an enormous quality and quantity of decibels at my controls.
    as always just my opinion

6. ironman5766

ironman5766

Jul 1, 2001
    My friend has an svt-3 pro and i've played out of it a few times, but i didn't really like it. i've also tried an origional svt in guitar center once and loved it. so i'd say go for the origional, but thats just my opinion.

7. The sound is very similar, but of course the tube power section in the Classic makes a difference. The Classic weighs in at 80 lbs. and even more if you want a roadcase for it. I play an SVT3-PRO and I love it. It weighs only 25 lbs. I use the graphic eq in it simply because my bass doesn't sound too great. This amp is very versatile and very much worth the money.

The SVT3PRO has more power too. It's 450 watts at 4 ohms and 275 at 8 ohms. The power is MOS-FET which sounds great and clean. Just try them both out. Try to use your bass and the exact cab you'll be using to be sure of what sounds best.

8. I like the head, even though sometimes I wish that it had less knobs. I can get just about all the sounds I want, its just that it takes me a while to find it. The weight is a trade off, since the Classic weighs a lot more. The 3pro is nothing to carry, and isnt a hassle. I also like the fact that my amp easily goes into a rack and is protected. For tone though, you cant beat the SVT. Cost is another issue, as the 3pro is quite a bit less.

9. Not really. I think he's talking about getting an older 70's model, not the new "classic" model. You should be able to pick up an old SVT for about the same price you would pay for a new SVT3. Just make sure you get a tech to go over it. Most older amps like that need cap jobs, new tubes and biasing.

As far as sound goes, there's no comparison. The SVT beats out the SVT3 any day of the week. And it will get a whole heck of a lot louder too, if that's your thing.

10. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    I use, and personaly would go with, the SVT-4Pro head......and either a SVT-810E or a SVT-410HLF.

These are good for anything.....if you can EQ.....this is your amp!