Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro or SVP-Pro+amp...what would you choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Sep 29, 2003.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    For you Ampeg fans:
    What would be your choice, an SVT-3 Pro or a SVP Pro + power amp and why?

I'm leaning towards an SVP-Pro and probably a QSC amp to power my Ampeg SVR-212 cab basically for future upgradability. I play blues & classic rock in small to medium clubs with PA support if needed, so huge amounts of power isn't needed. Weight is not a factor either.

Anyone have a real good reason to sway me over to the SVT-3 Pro?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I have an Ampeg PR-410hlf and an Ampeg SVT-III (3) Pro... Dude, I don't see how you would need a lot more power. And you can/should always run through the P.A. Right now I am going over a guitarist with a 120-watt Marshall Half-stack, a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUDDDDDDDDd drummer, and a 200-watt PA.
    Depending on the EQ is what the volume will be at. Certain volumes it will be at 10'oclock, and others it will be at 12/1. But it cranks man...
    It's really really really heavy duty, and you can get a very customizable sound... Muddyish (?? lol), crisp and punchy as hell!!, tight, smooth, bluesy, funky, and whatever...
    late-

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    As a recovering previous owner of the SVT3pro, I can offer my opinion on the unit: P-U!

Underpowered, heavy, and noisy as heck with a 4 ohm load.

SVP-Pro and a QSC works though. The headroom alone is worth it and it's not really that much more expensive.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll say go full tube with the V4BH or the SVT CL if you can afford this last one. These are THE rock tone !

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have both the SVT3Pro *and* SVP-Pro plus power amp. I would recommend the SVP-Pro plus amp for the following reasons:

1) As you mentioned, greater flexibility with a pre/power rig. My SVP rack has all the power I need (Stewart World 2.1 amp). The SVT3Pro can handle loud rehearsals and small gigs, but doesn't have the headroom I need for medium to large gigs (no PA support, fairly loud bands).

2) I much prefer the Drive control on the SVP-Pro to the Tube Gain control on the SVT3Pro (only relevant if you're into overdrive/distortion).

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You say weight isnt a problem? SVT CL!!

7. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    The SVT-CL is the pinnacle...but not quite "justifiable" to my wife yet! I definitely need to get the tube thing going, even if it's just preamp for now. We play blues and classic rock and my guitar player runs through a Fender Twin, harp player through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, the keyboard player has this great sounding Emu unit that it's main purpose is to emulate a Hammond B3, and the drummer...well, he's just a drummer. Yeah, the weight thing doesn't bother me. 5 strong guys in the band, everyone helps with each other's gear equally. We have a 14' cube van that has a ramp and our gear is stored in there, so there's no lifting anything into trunks, backseats, etc. Makes the end of the night a pleasure!

I'm looking at used gear btw, except the power amp which I'd get new.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You should make the argument that youll need to upgrade in the future and that if you got the SVT CL now there would be no need to upgrade ever! ;)

9. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I tried that one already without success...unless you can find me one in working order for my spending limit of $600.

Didn't think so... :(

--Mike

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You ARE lucky. I never get help with my stuff (except when I have to ask). And I drive a 2-door Grand Prix...not fun. Trying to get cabs in the backseat is no fun. Definitely getting somekind of SUV or truck as my next vehicle!

Anyway! I've debated the same issue as you...the best reason to have a pre/power setup is more headroom. You can get a nice and powerful QSC that will be more powerful than any of those SVT heads. My only regret is not getting a PLX instead of an RMX. But the RMX is still a fine amp.

11. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    What's you're take on the RMX? I'm seriously thinking of one of these. Seem like a good value to me.

I know how you feel--I've got a Volkswagen GTI VR6---smallest car of anyone in the band but thanks to the hatchback I'm able to get alot of stuff in there.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The RMX is a great amp. I have the 1850HD model and I run it bridged mono with 2 8ohm cabs, daisy-chained. Setup this way, it never clips, and is plenty loud. Great cooling system and nice connection options in back. So far it has been completely reliable...but I haven't done much real gigging yet, so it hasn't been put under much stress. You are right it is a great value. I like the idea of having a PLX simply to have a lighter rack.

13. Yeah well I'd recomennd the IIIPro very much BECAUSE of that "tube gain" knob. A very cool feature IMO and the diff is dramatic when going from a tighter (read:smaller) buzzier tone to a wide open and "roomy tone with th knob fully cranked. Controls the plate volta and is pretty much THE reason I went for it myself. Great little rig, I am very happy. Of course, for the "big" gigd, I pull out the F-1X/PLX rack for an even better tube tone so go figure.

14. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Thanks for your comments everyone! I am the proud owner of a very well-kept older model SVP-Pro. Came with an extra set of tubes and footswitch. Got it from TB'er morebass! for a song--super nice guy to deal with. I've only heard it through headphones so far (which was phenominal!) since the 4 hour round trip got me back home close to Midnight, so I'll have to grab my cab and one of our extra PA amps and give it a workout tonight. Now it's off to order a QSC to complete the rig.

The funny thing is, whether I would have gotten this pre or the SVT-3 Pro I'm sure I would have been as happy as a pig in mud. But because of a gig that popped up this Friday and my Ampeg B3 combo sold off on ebay last weekend I had to jump on the first thing I could find locally. This was my only choice--and got what I wanted in the first place...wish more things worked out like this!

Thanks again everyone!
    Mike