Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Feb 23, 2006.

1. I've been a GK user for most of my playing life and am now using a 3 Pro. I'd love some tips on getting a great funk or rock tone from this head.
    Does everyone use the tube gain on full?
    What boost buttons do you use for slap or fingerstyle?
    Any EQ secrets?
    What frequency do you prefer for best sounds?
    How do you push out the classic Ampeg growl tone?

The head sounds great generally. I'm just interested in maximising the effect it has in different rooms when I'm on tour. I use active and passive basses so all ideas are appreciated.

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sorry, I don't have an SVT-3 Pro yet. I'm getting one in a few days. I do have a GK1001RB, and have or had many Ampeg heads including the SVT-4 PRO and now the SVT Classic. Just out of curiosity, why did you switch?

Skel

3. GKs are fantastic amps. I have always felt they are best suited for live stage work and cranking the limits of your speaker cabs.
    I'm now playing in a really funky acoustic rock band at lower volume. I wanted to keep the rock sound of the GK but also have a bit of country and folk in my sounds. It's an experiment that has worked out really well so far. It takes months to learn how to use a head to it's maximum potential. I played a GK 400RB for 12 years and felt that a new head may influence some new ideas.
    We've just finished recording our first single. Using the 3-Pro and a Schroeder Mini 12 with my Graphite Jazz bass, I managed to get a pretty excellent motown tone. I think it is a better head for the studio and just a bit more versatile.
    To be honest, if I could find a funky GK rock tone (Think Flea in early RHCP) on the 3-Pro, I'd feel like I have the perfect set up.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I used the tube gain all the way up, don't use the boost buttons, they just make it fart out and kill your volume. I play Rock, but play w/ the Equalizer and tone knobs to get your slap settings, they have examples in the instruction book. If you don't have a book, let me know, I still have mine though I play an Eden WT1205 now.
    3-Pro's are great sounding amps.

I just found the book, I still don't suggest the bass boost but it says. Brt in, HI out, LO in, Bass 2/3, Mid 1/4, Freq 4, Treb 1/3, Master max, Tube gain max, use gain for your volume.That's for slap.

If you don't have the book, let me know if you want rock or jazz finger style.

5. Thanks for that. I have a gig tommorrow night. This will be the first soundcheck. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Just saw the last part of your message. It must be rock.:bassist:

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    OK.
    BRT out, Gain as Volume, Hi out, Lo out, Bass 2/3, Mid 2/3, Freq 4, Treb 1/3, Master Max, Tube gain Max.
    Of course you use your EQ to taste, the far right band is a master for the EQ. If your amp doesn't seem loud enough, that will do it.
    Good luck.

8. This is going to be fun. I've been cranking alot more treble and cutting the mids. A few tweaks of my pickups and I'll see what happens. Thanks.

9. tommysalami

tommysalami

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Try This. All switches out. BASS between 2 & 3 o'clock. MIDRANGE between 2 & 3 o'clock. FREQUENCY 2. TREBLE 2 o'clock. MASTER 10. TUBE GAIN 10. EQ SWITCH on. EQ SETTINGS-33@+2 80@0 150@+3 300@-2 600@+3 900@-1/2 2kHz@0 5kHz@0 9kHz@0 LEVEL +3 You can take away or add from this depending on the bass you play, your fingers, your cabinets, & your ears. I don't use the input pad on my active basses. I feel it takes something away but it makes the gain very hot so you have to be careful adjusting it.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Reducing tube gain softens the tone, and gives more overdrive when input gain is cranked into the red. For clean tones I always left tube gain cranked up.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I gotta say; You are using your Ampeg SVT-3 Pro for a softer country & folk thing. I have no doubt that you know exactly what you're doing, I just didn't realize GK was such a "Rock" amp compared to Ampeg. Or maybe you just meant that the 3 Pro is versatile enough to pull off more genres. I'm pretty new to bass amps, so I don't know much, but this thread "learned" me something new!

Thanks -Skel

12. Hi Skel,

I did mean versatility as the main factor. I feel the GK is a real "plug in and let rip" type of head - powerful and simple to use. Since talking to AxtoOx, I went onto the Ampeg website and downloaded the manual. There are recommended settings for a wide range of genres including country. At the end of the day, it is an SVT so you can always be sure it's going to rock!
    Most bands I have played in stick roughly to one or two genres so I've always been happy to get a good tone and stay with it. But my new band is all over the place so I'm always on the look out for variations.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, I checked on the GK website "Artists" and I guess if Megadeath uses them, that's a rock bass amp. I love my GK1001RB-II, but I'm getting an SVT-3 Pro as well - there is something about the right Ampeg sound that just nails what I'm after.

Skel

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Have you checked out the Ampeg endorsers? A lot of Rock bands. It only means so much. It didn't infiuence me enough not to buy Eden. I still love Ampeg, that amp had claw marks on it when I let it go.