Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro: Rack Support Fastener????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Hi there,

I was reading the manual of my SVT3 once more and bumped upon this on the rear panel:

RACK SUPPORT FASTENER: For the most secure rack installation it is recommended that a supplemental support be fabricated and fastened to the amplifier via this threaded insert. Use a 1/4-20 threaded bolt that will not protrude more than 1/2” into amplifier to connect the strap.

A 1/4-20 threaded insert is provided on the rear of the amplifier for connection to an additional support bracket. It is highly recommended that this additional support be used when rack mounting the amplifier.

Now, what do they mean with this?? Is there anyone that uses such a 'rear-support' thingie?? Where would I find one? Ow, I use a 2U Gator Rack Case (plastic).

Bart

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If it is a 2U case then it should be a tight fit with your amp all by itself. No need for supports there. For my recording gear I have supports for all of my equipment. I bought them at a computer store that specializes in rackmount servers.

3. Hmm that does raise questions for my future rig/rack. With rack mounting it, won't it be able to move a little anyways. It'll be a QSC RMX850, Amepg SVP pro, Furman Power conditioner, Behringer compressor, Kor tuner. Does it have support for the back end of the case? Or due to the weight, would iit cause the case to bend from the front? Anyone?

4. I have my SVT 3 in a Gator 2U and I don't use a support of any kind. I probably should tho, because that 1/4 inch or so under and above the amp sorta scares me. :eek:

5. Bump, does anyone have pictures of their rear-rack supports?? :D

6. bump for my older thread

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    With my SWR SM-400, I have a piece of wood (as SWR recommends) under the amp at each side. Depending on the gap below the amp, a piece of plywood 1" x 2" or so can be cut and then attached to the underside of the amp with double-stick mirror tape (hard to stick to the inside of a plastic SKB rack). That keeps the amp from flexing downward, but doesn't help with upward flex.

8. Thanks, bump... if there's someone around with pictures of a rear-rack support... be my guest and post them...

9. I have an SVT-3Pro also inside a SKB-4 spacing rack along with a Furman M-8D Power Conditioner and a Korg Tone Works DT-1 Rackmount Tuner. Do I need a Rack Support Fastener?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Upward flex isn't as important because it'll be the downward flex that causes problems on a gig. Just store it with the proper end up.

And yes, you should absolutely have some support on the bottom for an amp in a rack. I would never store an amp in a rack without it. I did the wood support under mine, but I cut it big enough to go under the rubber feet. But whether you use wood or a rear rack support, definitely support your amp in the rack because flexing can cause shorts.