Ampeg SVT-3 Pro speaker cabinet choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Hi guys and gals,

I've got some specific speaker cabinet questions for you. I've looked around a lot on this forum [using the search function ;) ] and I found a lot of topics about cab-combinations and others. Although here's my specific story.

At the moment I own a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and a Peavey 410TVX (8 Ohm). My bass is a Warwick Corvette Standard, the 4string. I'm very happy with this gear although I wished I didn't have to push the SVT-3 so hard to get my desired volume (I play in a metal band, ala Kyuss); my master is at 60-75% and gain is also around those levels, so you see my power issue coming.
    The guitarist uses a loud Marshall JCM900 halfstack (4x12 cab).

Now, the SVT-3 is only running on the 8 Ohm output (275 watt).
    And I'd like to ad another 1x15 or 4x10 cabinet to get my amp runnin' at 4 Ohm (450 watt).

what would you recommend?
    Another 4x10 or a 1x15?

I will keep my Peavey 410 TVX for sure (I got it in mint, 2nd hand condition for only 325 euro's).
    This cabinet has a RMS rating of 350 watt. When I'm playing at 8 Ohm, the cabinet is only getting 275 watts: Am I underpowering my cabinet? Or is there no harm involved?

When I would have another 4x10 (or 1x15) the SVT would run, like I said, at 450 watt. Each cab would get 225 watt this way. So the Peavey 410TVX would even get less power (350 watt cab getting 'only' 225 watts from the amp). Would this be a no-no?
    Now if I'd add another 4x10, would it be better to get a cab with lower RMS rating then the Peavey (> more headroom?)?
    If I'd consider an 1x15, would a Ampeg SVT15E be a good choice (200 watt RMS at 8 Ohm)? I thought about the Peavey 115BVX, but that one hass 300 watt at 8 Ohm, which is, maybe, too much RMS?

please help me out,

thanks in advance,

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'd get another 4x10" if I were you - although a 15" may get you more bottom, the punch of 10"s is usually more effective at cutting through guitars.

Although your cabinets will be able to handle a lot more power than the amp puts out, that shouldn't be a problem because with eight 10" speakers you'll have a lot of efficiency and shouldn't need to turn the amp up all that much to get enough volume.

3. Thanks Alex,

You're right about bottom. I've got enough bottom end and I don't think I need more of that (I can still boost the bass-freq's on the amp). Punch is what I need to be heard through them guitars.
  4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i vote for 10's - get as many as you can.
  5. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have an SVT III Pro that I use with a Peavey 410TX and 115BXBW. I actually have two of each cab. Originally, I played with the 2 410 cabs and liked the sound just fine. On a lark, I swapped one of the 115s for a 410...and haven't gone back since. The two cabs compliment each other very well. The Black Widow 15 is a relatively 'bright' sounding 15. My SVT III Pro is now relegated to the studio/practice use, but I'm still using the 410/115 combination. The Ampeg seems much more responsive going into 4ohms...and yeah, it's LOTS louder, too!;)

6. Thanks Kim,

do you prefer the sound of the 410 + 115 above the 410 + 410? Just wondering though... :)

How much is the RMS of your 8 Ohm 115 cabinet?
  7. So,

I'm not yet convinced which 2nd cabinet I'll get (410 or 115), but I'll rephrase my questions about powerhandling.

Ampeg output at 4 Ohm: 2x 225 watt
    Cab RMS at 8 Ohm: 225 watt? More? Or less??

Thanks, Bart
  8. Either a 4x10 or 1x15 is going to help. I think you will get more cutting volume from another 4x10 cab. I'd get another PV to match what you already have.
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL

Saw your post earlier, but was at work and can't respond from there. Yes, I think the 410/115 combination sounds MUCH better than the 410/410 pairing. They really do compliment one another. Originally, I bought two of the 410s for exactly the reason that Greybeard mentioned...more cut. Surprising thing though, that Peavey 115BX/BW cabinet is not too shabby in its own right. I have added a LeSon piezo tweeter to the cab that I can switch on and off. I normally do not like piezos, but this series is the best I have ever heard...they are very smooth and musical...not typical piezo traits. SWR, Ampeg and others use them as an alternative to the Fosters in some cabs(admittedly, to beat a price point...but, still, they sound FAR better than a piezo has any right to). Bottom line: cheap...about 6-7 bucks, US. Made a big difference in the 'airyness' of the 115. My 115s are 8 ohm boxes. That way, I can use any pairing and still present the amp with a 4 ohm load. In my opinion, nothing is lost by pairing the 410 with the 115...the punch and cutting through is still most definitely there. It's just that there are additional harmonics and overtones present that were not there before. I've polled the band as well as other bassists in the audience and it was 100% in favor of the 410/115 combination. No axe to grind here...I still have all four cabs and can mix and match as I choose, but for my purposes, the 'bastard' setup was the best.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Phyrexian, i am in the exact same thing. i have a III pro, and i want to hit the 450 watts. i currently have a hartke 410 XL, and i was thinking about adding a 2x10... maybe an avatar(cheap, like $239 new) and everyone here on TB seems to love them... i suggest a 2x10. im sure you're not gonna like the extra lugging around of a 4x10/115, (at least i'm not) so i'm suggesting a 2x10, but it all depends on what kind of gigs you're doing. and by the way, those Peavey cabs rock! i was about to get one, but i found a much better deal on my hartke (only $200) as opposed to the peavey ($300). Good luck!
  11. Thanks Romeo,

all USA gear is way more expensive over here in Europe. Sad. :( but true (to quote Metallica ;) ).
    A Peavey 410TVX costs 525 euro's over here...
    I'll check out those Avatar cabinets. Is that a USA brand? I don't mind lugging around cabinets. I'm in a band, if I need to move around the cab(s), the other guys in the band will help me out. The cab(s) aren't leaving the rehearsal room, except for shows, and at shows the other guys are around so... :D

I think I'll go to a shop and try out both the 410 and the 115 as a 2nd cabinet. I'll take my gear with me and judge myself. I'm not a professional player (only playing for two years now) and I don't need PRO-PRO gear, you know. Just something that sounds good and something that is affordable in the first place and reliable of course.

But first of all I'll need to get some more money for that second cabinet.

Keep them tips comin' though! :)