1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro with 2 Acme B2's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptidwell, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have recently converted over from keyboard to bass (about 6 months now) I have been playing since the late 60's and back in the day played bass also, I have always been a gear head, so my current rig is a GK 2000RB with two 8ohm Acme B2's. I ran into a deal for a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro but the Acme are not very efficent, and I wanted to get some feedback on this head before making the leap. My rehearsal amp is an Ampeg combo BA-115 that has decent sound, and Ampeg was the lick back in the day. Has anyone ran this head with a pair of Acme B2's? Is there enough headroom with the SVT-3 Pro so I can put the GK on the back burner? By the way although I have been on the boards for a few months this is my first post. :hyper:

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The SVT 3 Pro is lacking in headroom allready. I don't see it pushing two Acme B2's anytime soon. It could hardly push my SWR's or Mesa 1516 cabinet.

IMO, the GK 2000RB is a MUCH better amp.

3. Yeah the 2000RB is a way better amp than a SVT3.

4. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Louder... yes

Better... well... thats like your opinion man *in best Jeff Bridges voice* :cool:

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Lets just say best for this situation then ;)

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have a 3Pro, and I think it's a GREAT amp...... but as I've posted on several occasions before, speakers of high sensitivity are required.

I wouldn't do it with a pair of Acme's.

7. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am going to continue with the GK head for now and save my $$$ and gas for the Aguilar DB750 I have had my eye on.