Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro with 2 Acme B2's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptidwell, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have recently converted over from keyboard to bass (about 6 months now) I have been playing since the late 60's and back in the day played bass also, I have always been a gear head, so my current rig is a GK 2000RB with two 8ohm Acme B2's. I ran into a deal for a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro but the Acme are not very efficent, and I wanted to get some feedback on this head before making the leap. My rehearsal amp is an Ampeg combo BA-115 that has decent sound, and Ampeg was the lick back in the day. Has anyone ran this head with a pair of Acme B2's? Is there enough headroom with the SVT-3 Pro so I can put the GK on the back burner? By the way although I have been on the boards for a few months this is my first post. :hyper:

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The SVT 3 Pro is lacking in headroom allready. I don't see it pushing two Acme B2's anytime soon. It could hardly push my SWR's or Mesa 1516 cabinet.

IMO, the GK 2000RB is a MUCH better amp.

3. Yeah the 2000RB is a way better amp than a SVT3.

4. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Louder... yes

Better... well... thats like your opinion man *in best Jeff Bridges voice* :cool:

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Lets just say best for this situation then ;)

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have a 3Pro, and I think it's a GREAT amp...... but as I've posted on several occasions before, speakers of high sensitivity are required.

I wouldn't do it with a pair of Acme's.

7. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am going to continue with the GK head for now and save my $$$ and gas for the Aguilar DB750 I have had my eye on.