Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-3 PRO xlr out >< DI box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Lame question but hey,
    my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro has a xlr output (for connecting the thing with the PA). Will I get the same results soundwise with my amps XLR out or would it be better to get a DI box (behringer...)?

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The DI out on the SVT III Pro is superb. Save your money.

Kim

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    and it should be switchable between pre and post EQ. But sans amp sound gooood to.

4. yeah right, the sansamp's very good gear, but I don't need anymore soundshaping from the DI... just a way of getting my signal from amp to PA...

when I use overdrive from a pedal, will the the XLR out of the amp take that overdrive with it?

5. The XLR out from your amp should be all you need. Once in a while, however you may get some ground hum from the amp XLR. If your Ampeg is like my SVP-Pro, it doesn't have a ground lift on the XLR. Most DI's do allowing you to correct this "ground hum" when it happens. If you have your pedal going into the main INPUT of the amp, it should be present at the XLR. If you have it in the effects loop, I'm not sure you'll just have to experiment with it. Having a good DI in your gig bag is always a good idea. The Behringer Ultra DI 100 is only about $30 and from what I hear does a decent job. I’d use the amp XLR unless I needed to lift the ground and then I’d use the DI. jmho

6. Thanks Greybeard,

it looks like the SVT-3 has the ultimate XLR out! It has a groundlift switch! Hehe no hum.
    There's even a POST/PRE Preamp switch! This switch let you choose if you want to send a signal with or without the settings of the EQ. When you set it to POST, the signal contains all signals from the fx-loop as well...

Overdrive pedal question as well: would it be wise to put my overdrive pedal in the fx-loop? Or would I get better soundresults when put between bass and amp?

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agree, for most live sound situations, XLR out of back of amp is just fine.

If you choose to use a DI, if you've got an active bass pretty much an cheap DI will work, IMO. If you have a passive bass or a bass with piezo's the cheaper DI's cause loading on the pickups, which harms the tone. I recently picked up a Radial JDI ($190 street) and it makes a TON of difference on my bass with piezo's through the board. Its like someone removed a blanket from in front of my sound.

Not all DI's are created equal, that's for sure.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Still waiting for a gear thread where the answer is NOT "SansAmp" or "Avatar" :rolleyes:

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, there is obviously no valid reason to recommend a SanSamp to a SVT-3-PRO owner.

10. My point exactly! My SVT-3 does not lack tone or any tone-shaping possibilities, so I don't see the use of a DI with extra EQ-possibilities... I get my overdrive from dedicated pedals like a RAT or a MultiDrive.

Thanks again for the useful replies! I love this forum.