Ampeg SVT-3 vs Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mirthoneist, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    Hey guys, I already have an Ampeg SVT-3, but have the opportunity to get the 1001RB-II for around $400 from a friend of a friend in a different state, and I can probably break even selling the SVT-3.

I really like the sound and punchiness I get from the SVT-3, and the graphics equalizer on it make the possibilities for tone endless, but I'd like to have more head room, which the 1001RB-II offers.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with both of these, or at least the 1001RB-II. Opinions appreciated!

Edit: I'm playing with a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz and a couple of Cheap P&J basses.

2. Im a big Ampeg fan, and I LOVE my Ampeg rig. I tend to prefer Ampegs all tube stuff over the -Pro line of amps. That said, I have also used GK for many years in the past.

The 1001RB-II is one hell of an amp. Its pretty versatile, and LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. If youre going for more headroom, the 1001RB-II is gonna get you there and then some. You may just wind up with a better sounding rig.

3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Anymore thoughts on this? I also have an Ampeg SVT-3 PRO, and I am also on the prowl for a GK 1001rb-II.

4. I wouldnt sell an Ampeg to buy GK without hearing it first. Opposite ends of the Spectrum. They reallyu couldnt be further away from eachother.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Truth. The GK will give you the headroom you want, but at the cost of sounding completely different from your trusty Ampeg. If that's cool with you, you'll be happy with your volume. Me, I'd keep an amp I like the tone of, even if it were lacking some headroom in certain situations. Like, if your 3Pro is not enough, try a 4 or 6Pro, same basic tone, more power.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I agree with the others who have said they are night and day. I consider both to be "signature" sounds in the realm of EBG, but they are very different.

Ampeg has always gone for a warmer, more classic tone even with their SS offerings. GK is more of a clean, SS, hi-fi kind of tone.

I would prefer Ampeg only because you can get a good clean sound from an Ampeg by managing the mids, but you can not make a GK sound "tube-ish," as you can an Ampeg.

7. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe its just because I have a Geddy but I tried out a slew of GKs and they were too "bright" (for lack of a better term) for me. Again, I think overall they sounded good, with good punch, but not warm IMO. Like I said, it may depend on your bass what kind of tone you are going to get, but it wont sound like the Ampeg.

8. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Weird, I A/B'd these 2 when looking for my latest amp (ok, it was an SVT 3 pro) but anyway, I found the Ampeg to have more character in the sound. Of course, like it has been said - it depends what you are going for and a bunch of other things.

FWIW

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I own the 1001 RB II and have been up close and personal with the SVT 3 Pro. They are quite different animals. From a headroom perspective the GK will bury the Ampeg. The 'peg is the quietest 450 watts I've ever heard but - tonally it's cool. The tube in there does a decent job at warming it up. Over all there isn't much in the way of punch in there though.

I own the GK - what more can I say ...

10. My experience as well.
    BTW, my -3pro had 5 preamp tubes, but from the tone I got(or lack thereof), they may have all been bypassed.

*Not my experience.

11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've been a loyal Ampeg user for 15 years, my current SVT3 Pro has served me well for the last 3 years. Two weeks I got a 700RB2 for a backup. Simply put, it SMOKES the Ampeg. Practicing alone I prefer the Ampeg but in a live setting (loud rock band) it's not even close. It cuts better, it has much more clean power, and a tighter bottom end.

12. D-Man VanKrill

D-Man VanKrill

Dec 4, 2007
    Alaska
    Get the 1001RB. I have one and it rocks. If you turn up the boost knob you will get a nice warm sound. Also, GK's are probably the punchiest heads I have ever used. GK, GK, GK!! :eek:

13. In my opinion, the GK buries the Ampeg! They definitely sound different. I'd try a GK first to see if you dig the tone. For me, there's no comparison, the GK wins hands down.

In terms of power and headroom, no need to A/B them, the GK is worlds ahead of the underpowered SVT-3!

14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I bet he's made up his mind by now...:meh:

15. realdeal

realdeal Inactive

Dec 10, 2004
    Buries/ slays/ smokes!!

Where are Beavis & Butthead when you need them?

Let's see, where to begin...

No punch from a 3-PRO?
    Well, maybe for you, sorry. The punch I can dial in from my 3-PRO can bury and slay (whoops, there I go sounding like Beavis...:D)

No seriously, I get more than enough punch from Ampeg. Lucky me.

"the tube in there"... There are IIRC, 5 preamp tubes in the signal path of the 3-PRO, prolly has something to do with the signature Ampeg tone, ya think?:confused:

Now I'm a very happy G-K player too, I used a 400RBIII for many many gigs, almsot worked for Bob Gallien too...
    A MicroBass Standard with/without a 12" extension cab (either Flite or Genz-Benz) stunned a lot of players after I set it up and held up a rhythm section with it...

It smoked; it blew 'em away... Wow, there I go again..

3-PRO underpowered? Yep, when you play in a garage, or a rehearsal "room" or anyplace w/out proper FOH, which I guess is kinda for ummmm, professional engagements, ya know, stuff like that..
    Oh yeh, I've used the 3-PRO w/out FOH, plenty loud, but then again, maybe my projects don't require anything louder than the "underpowered" alleged 450-watts of the head.

Hey OP- play through both.
    Then decide! They're both very fine and capable amps....

Yeah, that'll work!:D

16. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I have the GK 1001-RB2, and have used a couple of ampegs in the past. I much prefer the tone I get from my GK, but that's just my personal preference. With the boost up, and maybe my EBS multi-comp in tubesim mode, it gives me a nice warm sound. Huge amounts of power.

17. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Maybe we'll be lucky and get the big honcho in this conversation. ;)

18. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I have used an svt 3 and a gk 800rb side by side and the svt3 just couldnt cut it volume wise. It(svt3) sounded great but had no where near the head room needed for me. If you like the tone from the svt3 but want more headroom... save a little more and get the svt4

19. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    IMHO, the SVT-4PRO doesn't sound ANYTHING like the SVT-3PRO . . . the SVT-6PRO is a lot closer to the sound of the SVT-3PRO (but with much more available power) . . . :cool:

20. :rolleyes:

For me, using the SVT solely as a pre and a BACKLINE with a Hartke 410XL, it was UNDERPOWERED at some larger venues. When my guitarist, on opposite ends of the stage needs my bass in his monitor because he's not getting enough from my rig, it's underpowered. Sure in FOH it doesn't matter as you are also using house power, but it is underpowered for a "450 watt" head. If it was rated a 200 watt head, I wouldn't complain, but a 450 watt rating is a joke.

Oh, and for what it's worth, you exhibit zero credibility with your lame attempts at condescension.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021