1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 3 vs. SVT 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marklaforest, Sep 23, 2010.

1. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    So I posted here recently about acquiring an Ampeg SVT 6 and not being too sure about it. Just thought I'd share my recent findings. I returned the SVT 6 and bought a used SVT 3 for about half the price. WOW. The SVT 3 blows the 6 out of the water for nailing that vintage ampeg tone. I expected the 6 to just be a more powerful version of the 3, but they are in totally different leagues. The 3 has plenty of headroom, I actually have a hard time believing that it's only 450 watts. The 3 is a lot lighter, and with the money i saved I might even go out and pick up another P bass. I found the compressor on the 6 to be pretty much unusable since it has no controls other than just level. And other than that the 6 just offers more power and a parametric EQ. The 3 has plenty of adjustability with the graphic EQ so the trade off is not really much of a sacrifice. I'm not saying that the 6 isn't any good, but it's just voiced much differently and has that more "modern" sound. I was looking for a small solid state head that came close to the tone of my V4B, and this definitely the one.

2. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I played through a 3 a couple times, backline at a gig. I liked it. Glad somebody else agrees.

I'm a happy V4-B user too. :cool:

3. Y'know Mark, 450W is a fair chunk of power if you use it all. I have 900W available to me but I only tap a small fraction of that. I'm sure the same goes for you.

Paul

4. jvanick

jvanick

Mar 8, 2010
    Cary, IL
    I have both of these heads, I think the 6 has a bit more crunch than the 3, and definitely gets louder... but to be honest, I am very happy with the sound from both of them.

The funny thing I always find is people complaining about how the 3 is too quiet... I have never had that problem, in fact, the 3 gets plenty loud for anything that I've ever done...

-J

5. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    Yeah, I guess the speaker cab involved has a lot to do with it too, but I've had no trouble hearing myself and pushing air using my ampeg 4x10. I'm using a sansamp in front of it and a P-bass and I'm getting plenty of crunch.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Since I got my SVT-3/SVT-810, all I hear from my bandmates is: TURN IT DOWN!!

I dont understand where that "its too quiet" or not "loud enough" comes from. Always read that the 3 Pro is "underpowered"...
    Its no 2000watt amp... but it is plenty loud.