Ampeg SVT 350 v. GK 800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    [lame story]
    Last weekend my bass player left my 25 year old, Gallien Krueger 400B, at our gig. The next day we checked the club and surprise, surprise it wasn't there. So now I need a new amp and money's tight (so I can't afford anything tubed). It's come down to the Ampeg SVT-350H and the Gallien Krueger 800RB. I've done some searching on the site and checked out
    So which is better?
    The Ampeg SVT-350H or the Gallien Krueger 800RB?
    I'll take other suggestions.

bass: fender deluxe jazz bass (active)
    cabinent: ampeg classic 8x10
    music: pretty much ska, punk and rock.
  2. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
  3. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Both would work really well. But since you HAD a GK i would say GET a GK. Your sound will be the same wont it? Just more power, i looked into the 800RB for a while and then relized a power/pre set up is a greater option.

Either would be great.
  4. I would get the GK.
  5. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Aren't GKs unreliable? An amp repair man on another forum said he has to fix GKs and Harkte amps the most. Why would he lie? :confused:

Not to mention the famous thread of "We forgot to add a component into the GK amps, go spend time and money and take it to a repair man to see if it needs the part, then pay shipping to ship it out to us. No, we can't use the serial number to figure out if your amp is ok"
  6. Special Ed is GROSSLY distorting anything I said and none of it applies to the 800RB anyway. The 800RB has been virtually unchanged for over a decade and remains the most requested bass amp from backline companies.

Regarding the 1001RB mk I, yes there were some problems, but that model was discontinued over TWO YEARS ago and I almost never see those coming in for repair anymore. In fact all those so-called negative Harmony Central posts are also close to two years old. Check the dates. The 1001RB-II has an extremely low failure rate, actually better than the 800RB which is a rock-solid amp. I can promise you that it's one of the most reliable and road-worthy amps on the market.

And by the way, yes we can track warranty repairs on amplifiers by serial number if it was done in-house or by one of our authorized service centers.
  7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    GK hands down.

DO IT!!!

8. +1 on the GK. I've only played on one GK and loved it, and I've only played on one SVT 350h and hated it. GK has so much more life to the sound.
  9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I owned both for a while and ran them each into their own Acme B2 side-by-side. The GK has a tighter, denser, cleaner tone that to me sounds a bit compressed. The Ampeg is looser and, with the ultra low switch on, has more bottom. I like the highs of the GK better. Both are pretty loud. At this point I'd get the GK and wouldn't think twice. It's lighter, has better EQ, can drive three 8 ohm cabinets and has better tone.