1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 350H. Should it take 5 minutes to come alive??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mberlin74, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Hello. This is my first post here and I would like to say thanks for haveing such an awesome site. My question is this: I recently bought an Ampeg SVT 350H along with an Ampeg SVT 1540 HE for $790.00. The guy was moving and desperate to get rid of them. These two items are 100 % absolutely mint, and I mean they look brand spanking new!! I was under the inpression that the amp was a solid state and didnt have tubes but when I fire up the amp it takes about 3-5 minutes for it to come alive. The peak meter shows the amp is registering when I play but no soud for 5 minutes or so. Is this normal or should I get it looked at? The seller is happy to pay for any needed repairs. The owners manuel said nothing about tubes or having to wait for it to warm up. Also I have looked all over for an owners manuel Pdf for my Ampeg SVT 1540 HE and cant find one anywhere. Not even at Ampegs site. If anyone could help me out with that I would be forever greatful. Thanks for listening. Marc B

2. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Hi there - you shouldn't have any warm-up time with that amp as it IS all solid-state. Definitely faulty - get it looked at before it doesn't come alive at all! All the best

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Hello and welcome to TalkBass! Something is definitely wrong with the amp. I had an Ampeg B2R (same as the SVT350H, except it's rackmountable head w/o the wooden case). They're solid-state amps that should fire up instantly. Ampeg has a 5-year transferable warranty--do you have the receipt? Good luck.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    No, even a tube amp doen't take 5 min to warm up. There is a problem, I don't know just what.....

I'd speculate that there is a broken solder joint, that has to warm up to get back in some form of contact, but I'd expect noise in use if that were the case.

Take it in for service. If it is THAT obvious, any tech should be able to deal with it. And, the 350H could be under warranty, so.....

As far as the manual for 1540HE, PM me your email..... you'll get it. It will be a PDF image, but...

5. I have an older SVT1540HE. It's a ported 15" + sealed 4x10" + horn. On my version ( early 90's ) theres four inputs on the back. Two are full range in parallel 400 watts . One is for the 4x10 , 200watts @ 4 ohms and an input for 1x15, 200watts @ 4 ohms. Since your using an SVT350H ( min 4 ohms ) I'd use one of the full range inputs @ 8 ohms.

From an old printout I have from Ampegs site.

Frequency Response ( -3db ) : 40-19kHz
    Useable Low Frequency ( -10db ) : 28Hz

Sensitivity: 100dB/spl
    Maximum SPL : 128 dB/spl
    Crossover Frequency : 4kHz
    Size 48x26x16
    Weight 153 lbs