Ampeg SVT-350H vs. Ashdown Mag300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whyusofunky, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I currently play through the Ampeg SVT-350H (Solid State). I don't dislike the amp, but it seems a lot of people rave about the Ashdown amps. I tried out the Ashdow Mag300 this past weekend and it really blew me away, the sound that came out of that inexpensive head. So what are some of your thoughts on this. I use a MIA Fender V and I also have a G&L-LB100 P bass. My band usually plays funk/rock/blues/jam music, and I gig 1-2 times a week.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Follow your ears. I like the Ashdown a lot better than the Ampeg.
  3. My ears are telling me that the Ashdown is a better sounding amp, but why is this head so cheap. $299.99 brand new ***? Is this a reliable head.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It is a fairly reliable head. Better than Berhinger quality. In fact, its probabally just as good if not better than the Ampeg head quality. I know there have been reliability issues with Ashdown cabs and combos, but there have been few to no issues with the heads. I say go for it.
  5. Well I'm beginning to lean towards the Ashdown. After stumbling across some threads on here, It's hard to find someone say anything bad about any of their heads.
  6. My Ampeg is 350 watts and the Ashdown is 300. Do you think that there will be a huge difference? My band typically plays venues 100 - 800 capacity. My stage volume is usually set at 5 and my gain is usually set at 3.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    To be honest, I think the Ashdown will actually be louder. The SVT-350H is a very quiet head.
  8. I have almost the same set up as you. An Ampeg B2R (which is just a rack version of the SVT 350) and I'm playing it through a SVT410HLF. I like the sound but those ss Ampegs, rated at 350, are really quiet. I'm actually looking for a new amp myself.

I can't say anything about the MAG but I was cheking out an ABM 500 II and it had all the power you could ask for. I didn't like the sound through the SVT410HLF, I thought it was too muddy, it sounded better through a sealed cab.

Ashdown seems to be a top name around here (TB land) so you'll probablly hear alot of good things about them. I liked the ABM 500 II but I might just save my money for a SVT CL(you can't beat the classic)

By the way, it's good to see a local (and commerce is REALLY local) Michiganadian around here.
    Hola from Holly :bassist:
  9. I see what your sayin', when I tried out the Ashdown, I ran it through a 15' Eden cab, so I'm really glad that you brought that to my attention, well back to the music store to try it through SVT410HLF. If I only had an extra $1,500 for an old school SVT tube amp. It would wipe all my amp problems away.

Holy, MI a very beautiful place. My guitar player lived out there for a while. Off Broadway
  10. Yeah, classic SVT's are pretty expensive but the sound is just so right. I've played all kinds of amps lately and the CL through that HLF is killer. Like I said I haven't tried a MAG, so you should try that through a HLF.

I saw another thread you've got, saying you found an old SUNN.
    That sounds like a really good deal, If you like it jump on it.
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I used a MAG300 through either one or two 1X15's and it was plenty of amp, good tone, and versatile. I played the heck out of it for 11 months with the only problem being a cold-solder connection that came apart... This would probably have never been a problem had the head not been knocked over several times! After re-soldering it, it has not given me any problems...

Currently, the MAG300 serves as either a backup to my Ampeg V-4 or paired with a 1X12 as my 'small' rig, (believe me, this setup does not lack for volume)... I feel very comfortable on any gig knowing that this head is waiting in reserve. I absolutely would not hesitate to gig with it in a heartbeat.