1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-3PRO Series Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitespikebass, Mar 16, 2013.

1. whitespikebass

whitespikebass Boy Orbision

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Curious. If I use a dummy plug in one speaker out of a Ampeg SVT-3PRO Series Head can I get full use of the 450 watts with an 8 ohm speaker?

I am using a 4X12 cab with Eminence 12-A's and I believe they are rated at 250 watts each.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope. You can trick some old school tube amps that way, but not a SS or hybrid head.

3. whitespikebass

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Rats, do you think the SVT 3 PRO will be plenty loud with a 4X12 8 ohm cab?

That would be 275 watts but pushing plenty of air.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 412 is not a quiet cab and 275w isn't a buttload of wattage but an SVT is only 25w more. Crank the gain pretty good and it should be quite loud. Get that light lit up real good. I usually ignore it anyway. Just crank it till you hear distortion, then back off slightly if you want clean, or leave it you want distortion.

5. whitespikebass

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    But tubes are louder no? Or more powerful? I have an SVT. I'm looking for a good back up option. I assume this will be a lot lower in power.

I had considered the SVT 7 Pro but I like that the 3 has more tubes.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A watt is a watt. A 412 is a big cab. You're over-thinking this.

7. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    I played the 3-pro (owned two of them but that's another story). After some years of not owning Ampeg, I tried the 7-Pro against the 3- and 4-Pro in a store and left with the 7-Pro. Way more volume and lighter than the 3. And I never felt like I had to baby the input volume like I felt with the 3. I still wish a little bit that it had the graphic eq but I'm happy with the tone.

8. The standard +1 :)

9. FretlessJon

FretlessJon

Feb 23, 2018
    I use 2 Ampeg 2x10s (both 8 ohms) to run the 3Pro full range at 4 OHMs. It works killer. Why Ampeg stopped making the 8 ohm 210 an unsolved mystery.

10. FretlessJon

FretlessJon

Feb 23, 2018
    I might suggest running a 4 ohm cab if you want to run it at 450 Watts. The 3Pro looks like the front end of the Ampeg SVT VR (5tubes, 3 in the preamp and 2 feeding the MOSFETS) You have to work within the solid state wattage in the poweramps and the resistance to get the most out of this very cool head by my experience.