1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt-3pro vs. 7pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbcoll, Nov 29, 2010.

1. jbcoll

jbcoll

Jun 21, 2007
    Dover, DE
    Looking to upgrade my bass rig, playing mostly classic and alternative rock. Want vintage ampeg tone, but playing small-medium size clubs and don't want to transport a monster rig.

I'm liking the pro-neo 4X10 cab which is only 64 lbs. and pairing it with a hybrid amp, either the svt -3pro or 7pro.

Any comments on tone difference with either head?

Is the 3pro too little power (275W @ 8 ohms) for the pro-neo cab (rated for 850W @ 8 ohms)? 7pro is 600W @ 8 ohms.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    The 7 sounds great, It gets a nice clean or grindy tone for me. I even like the compressor.

I have no experience with the 3.

3. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    The 3PRO needs to run at a 4ohm load to really shine, sounds pretty good, but users need to do their homework to get the most out them. Great amps, but there is better stuff out there.

I have no experience with the 7.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The 7 sounds very similar to the 4 PRO - clean, thick, with plenty of low end and decent definition. The 3 PRO definitely needs to be run at 4 ohms for maximum usefulness - you can crank it harder that way too. The more you crank it and play with the Tube Gain knob, the more you can get it to growl quite similar to an SVT. The 3 PRO sounds like the 2 PRO growling at lower volumes - you will not get full on tube power section growl, but you will get a little bit of it with the 3 PRO. The 7 PRO does not growl like the 3 PRO at all, but stays clean all the way through - still sounds like an Ampeg though.

5. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    will the 7 pro drive a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 cab a lot better then a 3 pro?

6. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    ~ 3 db better.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I played a gig last week with a provided backline of a 7-Pro and a Pro Neo 410. It was a good sounding rig, but nothing amazing. Certainly usable in plenty of contexts. The cab felt like it was too small for the drivers, but still sounded nice, just not very deep. The head sounded great and the compression was noticeably smooth. My only complaint about the head was that the input was VERY sensitive. I had to keep the input gain down to about 8 o'clock (off is at about 7 o'clock). My bass is hot, but not overly so.

8. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    That's not how my input works. Mine is like any other Ampeg pro, dial it between noon and 2 until the peak light is active and the tone suites me.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This one was very touchy. Anything over 8 o'clock and the clip light would come on with even the lightest of touches. Might have just been the unit itself.

10. Were you using an active bass in the passive input?

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    +1 All depends on which flavor of "Ampeg" you want