1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt-3pro vs. ampeg svt-450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErebusBass, Feb 20, 2008.

1. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Well my cheap old head finally died, and i need a new one. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities (all ampeg) and i need some opinions. I am particularly interested in anyone who owns an svt-450, because i can't find one at any of the local music stores. I went and tried out an svt-3 pro and loved the tone, but i am a full time college student and am very poor, so the $900 price tag was kind of a let down. If anyone has experience with solid-state ampeg heads, particularly the B2re (because it's cheap) i would love to hear some opinions, otherwise i'll just bite the bullet and get tubes. I play black metal, i need something that can give me lots of low end with very crisp punchy highs. If anyone has any other suggestions preferably in the $500-800 range i'd be open to suggestions. Thank you for your help.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Try looking for a used head. I can tell you from expirience, the SS Ampeg heads are a real let down, compared to any of their hybrid heads. And, it seems like for what you're after, and on your budget, the all tube heads are right out. You could probably find a used 4 Pro in your budget, and that would get you right where you want to be. Good luck in your search.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I used a B2R for a couple years. It's a pretty solid head for its price range, but the 3PRO is definitely better. If you get a B2Re, you'll just wish you spent the same money getting a 3PRO on eBay.

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    thanks for the input, i've been looking for used svt-3pros on ebay but i've never had a good experience with used gear. The other advantage with new ampegs is they all have a 5-year warranty, does anyone know if that gets voided if the amp changes hands? I know some manufacturers only warranty the product for the original owner.

5. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    The B2RE or B2r will give you excellent Ampeg SS tone. Very clean, equalizer, fairly stout if you can run two cabs to get the full power.

I had a 3 pro once and it was gutless. Put new tubes, still didn't help.

Look closely for a used V4B in decent shape. 70's Magnavox era is a good run. You will have to be in a very large arena to need more than a V4B. None of the Pro series can approach the tone of the V4B.

6. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    What he said. I've owned B1Res, SVT 3 Pro's and have an old 71(ish) V4B that I bought for $599 and it is the best Ampeg of the bunch that I've owned.

7. +2 to above two posts. I had a B2R, then a SVT3PRO NOW a V4BH Probly NOT quite the headroom of a B2RE/3PRO, but VERY close- thru an efficient cab -one with lotsa speaker cone area- 4 x 10 or more, 2x12, 2x15 etc.. the V4/B/BH will work wonders & the solid PUNCHINESS of it KILLS the other two IMHO!!!

8. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    a got a great deal on a svt3 pro here on tb check the classifieds!

9. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    the svt450 is a good head, however, if you are looking for the ampeg tube sound, IMOE the ss ampeg stuff just doesn't come close. If you like the ampeg sound the 450 gets you pretty dang close... you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference in a live situation, but unless you cant afford it go for the svt 2 pro. I think it is the best sounding all tube ampeg other than the 70's models. I own the 450 and it has suited my needs well but it all depends on tube/ no tubes IMO...

10. Hint- if U don't already know......- SVT450 is B2RE in a SVT-CL cab. Aparently U can save $$$$ by getting a B2RE- same amp without the "clothes" ;-)

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    The warrenty is transferable as long as you have the original sales slip to the original buyer.

12. exalctly, svt-450 is a waste of money, you pay for the wood surrounding it, it is exactly the same head as de B2RE.

Just play a b2r if you like it, just go for it. I've heard plenty of bass players get very decent live tones from these heads.