1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT 3PRO VS Mesa M6 Carbine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapstick13, May 5, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Anyone know how these compare? I own the 3 pro, but am looking to possibly get the M6. I know theyre in the same price range and that the m6 is 600watts compared to 3 pros 450watts. Anyone A/B'ed these amps???

Ive read the m6 is 'aggresive', but also hear it is very 'clean' and 'articulate' so Im a bit confused. I play in a punk band and find the 3 pro a bit sterile and underpowered and am sick of looking for the perfect OD pedal to acheive the sound I want(aggresive/ more grit). Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. Get the Mesa... you'll never look back.

I tried a 3 pro once that was in a rehearsal studio and was very underwhelmed.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You really need to play the M6. The M6 will sound a lot clearer overall compared to the 3 PRO. The mids are not really thick in the 200hz range (like the 3 PRO is) The 3 PRO is a thick and punchy style of sound with some clarity. Really two opposite worlds of tone here. The low end will be clearer overall on the M6.

Try one!

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The Carbines are amazing heads, but if you want real dirt you will still need a pedal. Powerful Mesa heads for dirt without pedals are the Titan and BB750

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Hate to throw this out at you.... but I'm getting exactly what you are looking for out of an SVT-HD tube amp (probably any SVT would do) in conjunction with a P-Bass with rounds - no pedals.

I own the 3-Pro, and 6-Pro - though nice, I was never able to get that nasty-aggressive, bone-chilling, smile-inducing grit out of those... and believe me, I tried.

Again, it's a big amp and probably best with a big cab (2x15, 6x10, etc) so may not be what you are looking for physically.

Not familiar with the Mesa stuff, but I hear great things.

6. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Yea my lows on the 3 pro, at the volume i need to keep up in my band, kinda get muddy and make me hate my E string! But I love the mids on the 3 pro. I guess Ill just have to go play one.

7. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I've owned the 3 pro and a mesa m9. I absolutely hated the ampeg. The carbine is my favorite head I've owned to date and there have been many. They really are different beasts but you can get alot more sounds out of the mesa imho.

8. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    For ME, the answer is to lower the next to lowest slider on the graphic EQ (to get rid of the mud) and raise the rightmost slider (volume) to the top . . . the other tone controls (bass, mids and treble) stright up (12 o'clock) . . . all switches out except the "graphic EQ" in . . . with the input level set to make the red LED light on EVERY note . . . Tube gain control fully clock-wise, master volume 3/4 to full on to taste . . .

Works for me, YMMV . . . good luck . . . :cool: . . .

9. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks groover. I just cant afford an all-tube head , which would definatly be my ideal(An ampeg svt 2 pro!!) but its jsut not very realistic for my broke bank account. Lookin to sell my 3 pro and possibly buy a used M6.

10. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

ditch the dvd player (svt-3pro) and buy the blue ray player (m6)

11. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

the three pro does in fact look like a dvd player. one reason why i upgraded to the svt-cl. haha