1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-4/B-4R question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brotha Chris, Mar 3, 2005.

1. okay... if anyone else has posted this than i apologize in advance. this is just way too confusing for me.

i'm trying to buy one of the two amp-heads (SVT-4 PRO/B-4R) in the near future. but i raise two questions to nay takers.

which one?

AND

which type of speakers (4 or 8 ohm) will it power better? i had thought that they power 8 ohm speakers better... but i'm not prepared to make a $1000 eff-up. i wanted to play either head out of an Ampeg BSE-410HS and a BSE-410H... good idea or bad idea?

i'm also up for suggestions. thank you all in advance.

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... you really need to do a search on "ohms" and stuff like that. Its been covered so many times. If I were to start telling you what was what, then I'd probably have to give you a big lesson on hooking stuff up, and how many ohms for mono-bridging and stuff like that.

I guess I can give a simple answer now.... but then again, it all depends on how your going to hook it up, because you can do it stereo or Mono.

In Mono mode, I dont think the BSE cabs are enough to handle EITHER head. They're really at the bottom of the Ampeg food chain, and are meant for a B2R head, or something of similar power. (They apparently give my BXT cabs an undeserved reputation:mad: )

In stereo, the 4Pro will give you more power... but then again, I dunno what kind of power you need, what kind of tone you want or what music you play.

So do a search... learn what you can... and answer a few more questions that will let us help you s'more.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah and sometimes confuse store employees. A store in my area has two new BXT 15 cabs. When I asked the store employee how much they cost, he looked at his catalogue scratched his head and said $350 each. :eek: Wish I had the cash on me at that time.

Anyway, back to the two amps. Both will power a two ohm load per side so I wouldn't worry about being able to power those cabs. You'll be ok either way. Pick the one that sounds best to your ears.