1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 4 into Aguilar S410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markd248, Apr 9, 2009.

1. markd248

markd248

Oct 17, 2008
    I have an ampeg SVT classic right now, but for my needs (constantly touring band) I don't want something so expensive, heavy, breakable, etc. So I'm considering switching to an SVT-3 pro or SVT-4 pro. I'd prefer an SVT-4, but am concerned because the Aguilar (4x10 cab) is a 300 watt cab and the SVT-4 is 490 watts. Is there a real chance of me blowing speakers in the cab? I'd rather not spend more money on a second head to only blow up my cabinet speakers. should I just skip the SVT 4 and get the SVT 3?
    please give me your input!
    thanks!!
    -mark

2. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    the cab is 4 ohms?
    in stereo you will not blow the cab if you are carefull, only if you monobridge it you can put that much power to blow your cab,

3. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i'll ditto the above. as long as you don't dime all your settings you should be fine with the 4. i've owned the 3 pro and the 4 pro and both are fine amps as far as tone, but IMO the 4 is WAY more flexible as far as power, cab options, etc. well worth the extra 4 bills and your cab will handle it fine.

4. markd248

markd248

Oct 17, 2008
    yeah its a 4 ohm cab. I have no idea how to monobridge and stuff, so I'll be definitely using the "normal" stereo output.

I'm personally swaying towards the SVT-4, I've never used it outside of guitar center, but the SVT-3 just isnt fully cutting it for me, it limits itself at a pretty low volume for me and doesn't hit hard enough. Granted i'm used the the svt classic's power, so thatll have to change either way.

thanks for the help guys, ive definitely made up my mind. Now I just have to wait for my SVT classic to get out of the shop so I can sell it, apparently the power transformer blew and it's going to need a whole new power board, luckily its under warranty...

5. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    that was exactly my experience with the 3 pro, great tone but JUST BARELY adequate for a small rock gig, even running it at 4 ohms. i regretted selling it for a bit but then got a 4 and haven't looked back.

6. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I find all Ampeg amps to be less powerful than their established power ratings. The all-tube SVT doesn't suffer from this that much, but the SVT4 and SVT3, are not as powerful as my AG500 and even the lesser power GK800 or 700. I've owned about 4 different Ampeg amps, so I'm not making this up.

With that said, the Aguilar S410 is a great cab. they are very underrated cabs and were discontinued for lack of sales, but they are very nice cabs. Clear, smooth and balanced. Kind of like the punch of an SWR Goliath III but way smoother and not a bright.

Between your choices I actually prefer the SVT3s tone more than the SVT4, but the SVT3 has to be cranked in order to get enough volume in a live gig.
    I wouldn't worry about blowing the speakers. Most of the time they blow up when the amp is clipping or when you boost Bass EQ like crazy and play super loud.

I ran a Carvin 1500watts power amp bridged into an Aguilar GS410 years ago, and it sounded beautiful.