Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg svt 4, or Ampeg all tube ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonb9, Nov 13, 2004.

1. jonb9

jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    I really need a new amp and I'm sick of all that lightweight trash--thats just what I think... Anyway, I own two great basses a fodera monarch, with emg's, and a fender 62 jazz bass-(real one)
    I really like Brian wilson, sting, vic wooten,and Richard Bona-- those would be the guys I listen to most and like the sound of... So I would like to ask for some advice based on the basses I play, and the arists tone I love which amp would you suggest? Ampeg SVT or an all tube one
    I really need big power, is a 300 all tube amp equivelent to a 1000 watt solid state? What are the pro and cons of each amp, and what would you suggest?

thank you very much

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well keep it mind that you would have to replace the tubes if you got ana all tube head that might be a con but im sure they dont break that easily.

3. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    well, wattage is wattage, regardless of how its produced. Tube 300 watts is just as loud as Solid State 300 watts. I prefer Solid state just because u dont need to worry about ur tubes wearing down.

4. Nasty little electronics "secret:"

Tubes and transistors have equivalent service lives. :eek:

As for the volume thing, you'd think that with literally millions of experiences to the contrary, that people would stop and think before chanting that whole "a watt is a watt" mantra. There's a whole host of reasons tube amps REALLY do get louder than their similarly rated s/s counterparts. A search should uncover most of them, so there's no point repeating them here. Fortunately, you'll only need one piece of sophisticated test equipment to determine which amp meets your needs: your ears.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    A watt is a watt, but a 300 watt Mesa 400+ sounds about as loud as my 900 QSC poweramp.

Go for tubes.

6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    300 tube watts are definitely equivalent to 1000 SS watts.

Go for the tubes. You'll be glad you did.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Lower peak:average ratio = higher apparent volume from tubes. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use a 1000 watt SS power amp with an Ampeg tube pre amp (SVPCL). Let's say it just keeps up with an all tube SVT volume wise. IMO of course. If you really feel you need all tubes and don't mind putting up with all the little hassles that go along with an all tube amp, then by all means get one.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    As far as perceived volume goes...

I have owned a 900 Watt solid state SWR, as well as a 1000 watt SS pre/power setup. Currently using either an Ampeg SVT2 Pro or Mesa 400+ (both ~300 tube watts).

I've had the Mesa the longest, tried the SS setups to get a variety of sounds. After using the 400+, the SWR sounded like a good sounding 5 watt practice amp. The 1000 watt setup was louder, but I realized after using it awhile that I didn't need both the tube and SS tones. The Ampeg was a great deal, bought it for a backup. It's LOUDER than the Mesa. The Ampeg's great for old school rock and blues tones, does things the Mesa doesn't and vice versa. I just prefer the sound of tubes.

However... Played an SVT4 through a Bergantino 215 when I was trying out my 5 string, and it sounded great. Plenty loud, clearer than the tube amps, I would say more flexible. I'm not familiar with all the names you mention, Sting and Brian Wilson I'd say the tube amp would do better, lots of people prefer a SS amp for slapping though. I'm not one of them. If you can play both at a Guitar Center or such that's the best thing to do. I wouldn't let worry about tube replacement keep me from buying the tube amp if I liked it better than the solid state.

10. SkoMule

SkoMule

Nov 16, 2004
    There is no doubt a 300 watt vintage ampeg SVT will equal any 1000 watt SS amp in volume. Damn, a Fodera and a '62 jazz! IMO these fine instruments need to be heard warm and clear - for warmth there's no substitute for tubes. Especially that '62 jazz - you'll just wont get that growl with an SS amp.

I have a SVT 400T SS as well as my 70's tube SVT - I'm looking for somebody to buy the SS - the sound is the difference between a roar and a fart.