1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT-4 PRO ADVICE!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapstick13, May 3, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I have an ampeg svt-3pro currently. Found the 4 pro on craigslist for $650! So I could sell the 3 pro for pretty close to that.

I play in a punk band so I could probably use some more head room, however the 3 pro has 3 preamp tubes and 2 driver tubes and the 4pro only has 3 preamp tubes. Will I lose some of the grit that I enjoy with my 3 pro and thus sacrificing grit for more headroom??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    in my opinion....

yes, the 3 pro seemed to be much more tubey and grittier than the 4 pro. The 3 and 7 Pro are grittier but the 4 has much more tone shaping controls. I think 4 prop would be fine with some kind of drive in front of it be it a sansamp or modded tubescreamer or similar.

3. I'm going to agree with wetzelman here, the 3 pro definitely has a more "dirty" sound than the 4. I run a sonic maximizer through my 4 pro and it's pretty much the best bass tone I've ever had.

4. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    I use the svt4pro with a sansamp and it sounds great. I wasn't able to aquire a tone I really liked untill adding the sansamp. you're probably right on the money with your assumption of the two.

5. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Well crap, I dont want to lose my grit. Guess Ill have to save for a 2pro!!!!

6. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Im also not a fan of sansamp stuff. Had the bddi and vt bass. Ended up bypassing them every attempt I made to play them with a full band. Found them to hog my bass's/ amps tone.

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    If you wanna the grit, stick a VT in front of it.

With a used 4PRO you will want to ask a couple questions. Has it been in for repair? and you want to see how tightly it was racked. Guys rack them too tight and burn them up and blame the amp.

The 4PRO's closest competition powerwise is a straight SVT or 2PRO. The 4PRO will have a bit more oomph. They are great amps.

And I have six I'm not using right now for sale. hahahahaha BOB

8. I don't like the 4 at all.

9. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Me neither. But I don't like the 3pro either...

My opinion is probably useless in this thread. :bag:

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The 6Pro has ALL the tone of the 3, and MOST of the power of the 4.