Ampeg SVT 4 pro and a SVT 810E for $1,500, should I do it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Max, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread discussing connectivity problems with this rig, but a local guy has this exact rig for sale. It has 20 hours of use at a church and is pristine.

That's a killer deal and a manly rig. I play in a classic rock band. I know it's heavy. I have a 410 and a 115 SVT and do just fine with that set up. We are playing small venues. But this seems like too good of a chance to pass up.

I have had non specific free roaming G.A.S. for several months now and this would be a major OD. I would think this would cure me once and for all. I would never need any kind of gear of any sort whatsoever for the rest of my life. :D

I have read this forum for years and the issue of tube longevity has never been answered to me. How often would I really be looking at tube replacement assuming 30 to 40 hours of usage per month?

Will somone either talk me out of this or into it? I can't enjoy life until I resolve this inner conflict. The deamons speaking to me from the deep recesses of my tormented soul. I would sell my current rig on Ebay and maybe recover $500 to $600. The rest pays for itself with my share of gig earnings after a month. My band recently asked me to "manage" so I am responsible for gigs, marketing, etc. With this rig, I would also have complete and absolute power when we play. They would be at my mercy. On the other hand, I do fine with my Genz Benz head and my Sansamp DI. I don't need this rig, but it would be way cool. Aaargh.
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    never been a fan of the cab, but that head kicks ass. I've had mine since 99 and I've put new pre-amp tubes in it once, about 2 yrs ago. Mine gets used at least once a week too. All I can say is you'll love the head. The cab is up to you.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you can get it for $1200, that would be a sick deal.
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Buzz on this. My friend Funkster has both,
    and recently purchased a Bergie 6x10 and says it sounds
    much better than the 8x10.

Is it strictly a package deal?
  5. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I saw the exact deal on eBay. The caviat with this one was, the 4-Pro was an older one. The guy's band was sponsored by Ampeg. He was having problems with the head, so he was able to send it to Ampeg and they totally rebuilt it for him. The rig went for $1500 something, and then another $100 or so for shipping. And yours is pristine - is it the modern style 4-Pro? Either way, based on what I said above, it should go for $1500 or more on eBay if you don't like it, or you can sell just the cab, or just the head, etc. Since it's local, I don't see how you can go wrong. And if you ever want to sell the cab, please let me know because I'm in the market for one to go with my SVT-II non-pro. I had the 4-Pro, and they are great sounding heads. They get kind of a bad rap, but I had one - they are awesome, with all the bells and whistles. Not sure if the compressor is any good, but other than that - killer head.

6. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And if you decide not to get the cab, and this is not a package deal, please let me know - I'll buy it. I would consider buying the whole thing for that price - seriously. And that's even paying the shipping - if the seller is willing to ship it.

7. The preamp tubes should NEVER need replacing.
  8. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Preamp tubes are pretty cheap & last pretty long if you don't abuse them. My rule of thumb for used gear is make sure I can sell it for what I paid.

But I will try & talk you out of the purchase if you like. The price is "ok" but its not GREAT!!!WOOHOOO!!! IMO. I have seen used SVT810 cabs (maybe a little beat up but in perfect working condition) for as little as $350 and used 4 pros for $800, but I personally dont care if gear is pristine looking. Because of all the bells and whistles, the 4 pro is not an easy amp to setup IMO and is not my favorite sounding Ampeg head even when it is dialed in (I have played a lot of Ampegs). I also use an SVT410+15 and only one time have I ever needed to add an 810 to it. Sure it looks cool with all those cabs on stage, but it is overkill & unless you are playing huge rooms with no PA support, theres just no need for a 410+15+810. I played a decent sized stage last weekend using a 4 pro + a pair of PR 410 HLF cabs. The sound guy literally pitched a fit when I first plugged in. When I finally got it to an acceptable level for him, the amp was on like "2". I am glad it wasnt my gear, 'cause that was a lot of weight to carry around to turn up to "2". The biggest stage I recently played was the Warfield in San Francisco. I played that with a single SVT 810 cab, but I could have gotten away with a single 12 with all the monitoring they have there.

If you want a more "classic" Ampeg sound at a bargin price, look for a used SVP CL and a power amp. I'd guess $600 as a low end price for the pre + and 800 watt or so amp. That along with your current cabs would be a great sounding setup... it was for me for.
  9. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The preamp tubes should not even be considered at all. They are an order of magnitude less of an issue than the caster wheels on the cab. Think of it that way.

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to go look at it today or tomorrow and try it out and decide from there.
  11. tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    I'd say go for it because the head alone is almost that same price. I use that same rig and it sounds killer to me, although opinions are like assholes everybody has one and some stink. Up to you, but I think it's to good of an offer to pass up.
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's never about need.
  13. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Don't think, BUY!