Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 4 pro and classic 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Erythuria, May 26, 2004.

1. hey guys i'm thinking of getting this rig.. first of all general opinions please..
    secondly i mostly play in a garage but i often gig and need a nice powerful amp. in my garage i'd like to use the ampeg as well but it seems well overpowered for that. would keeping the master volume low give me a less decent sound?
    thoughts please

scott

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I have a SVT 4 Pro that I play through two Eden 210XST at 8 ohms each for 4 ohms combined for max power out, but then I go to practice with only one Eden 210XST. Having two small cabs that are 8 ohms gets me the power out of the combination, but the lightweight of only one at practice. Sounds good at practice at lower volumes. I do not use the gain/master for overdirve sound. I set the amp for clean and then I have a Fulltone Bass-Drive that has two push buttons for drive and boost, so I have clean -- overdrive -- boost/distortion.

I think 810 is overkill unless you play outside without a pa or unless your drummer and music is very very loud or unless you like the look.

I heard a band last year where the bass player had a MM, a 4 pro, and the ampeg, I think its called a 410 HLF. Man oh man he sounded good. He was on a stage in a bar and was also through the pa. But I went to the edge of the stage so I could hear him only through the cab.

I saw another band a few months ago where the guitar players each had 2 Marshalls stacked. The poor bass player, who was better and loud enough, had only a 410. An 810 would have looked cool next to those Marshalls. Flat cabs on the bottom, slants on the top. Maybe they listed Spinal Tap as one of their influences.

Tim99.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Low volume on many amps I have played usually doesnt sound as good as higher volume but the difference isnt very big. I think the main thing is that you are going to get tired of lugging that 810 around especially for gigs where you dont need it. I would go for two smaller cabs where you could use one most of the time and add a second when you really need it. Thats what I would do but if you are motivated enough to carry the 810 around then dont let me discourage you. :bassist:

If you decide to look into an Ampeg 410 I would go with the 410 HLF. That would probably be more then enough for most situations.

A nice alternative to the Ampeg 810 is the Bergantino NV 610. Its the same price (USD) as the 810, weighs 60 lbs less and is much more portable. They are both tweeterless ported cabs. I dont know if you can get one where you are though.

4. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I'd kill for that-spendy rig, though.

5. well actually they dont even sell ampeg here in malta, i'll have to have it shipped in, which is going to hurt my budjet quite a bit... i'm going to have to work for a whole summer to afford it, and even then its pushing it.
    one of you mentioned 4x10 cabs... would that handle the SVT 4 pro with enough stability? i know theres a difference in output at different ohmmage but i'm not an electrician lol so i'm no expert!

thanks,

scott :bassist:

p.s. does anyone know a good ampeg dealer that ships to europe for reasonable prices and is reliable? thanks a million

6. I recently bought an SVT 5-Pro, (Very close to the same head) (I wanted the 4 but they had a 5 on clearance for half price!) and I use a 410 at practice (8 ohm) and 2 410's at the gig....they arent even high end cabs and they are holding up beautifully! I played last night for four solid hours and had 1: No problems being heard over the guitarists Marshalls
    2: No technical problems with the cabs, speakers or the head
    3: Lots of compliments, even from the sound tech, as to
    what a sweet sounding rig it is.
    You can always run less power (single cab/mono mode/NOT bridged) and turn down at practice but as the old saying goes, 'tis better to have and not need then to need and not have eh? If you buy the SVT4 and 2 separate 410s you will most likely never need another rig. Ever.
    And that means buying more basses! Dunnit? :hyper:

7. more basses eh? lol no complaints there :hyper:

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    An 810 is overkill... and for a garage, abslolutely.
    A 410 should be more than enough.
    If you want more, hows about a 410 and a 115: that way, you have the bottom end, too ;)

9. I have that rig...

it is a pain to lug that thing anywhere... 170lbs I think.

I am having some problems with mine that will soon be figured out.

Quite versitile though...

honestly, I think there are better bangs for their bucks

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    There are three outs on the back of the SVT 4 Pro, well there are more than that...but...so there is one that is from power amp 1, one that is from power amp 2, and another that is "mono-bridged" from both power amps together. If you run two cabs, you run power amp 1 to cab 1, and power amp 2 to cab 2. But, if you run one cab, and want the combined "mono bridged" power going to that one cab, you need a different cable, and you plug that cable into the "mono bridged" output, and then into your cab. The amount of power the amp delivers is based on the ohms of your cab.

You could get a 410 and a "mono bridged" cable now, and if that is not enough, you could get another 410 and two cables later. I would recommend getting an 8 ohm cab so that in the future you get another 8 ohm cab, you have 4 ohm connected, and you get the max out of your setup. Others might recommend getting a 4 ohm cab so that you get the most connected power to what you have now, but with that amp, mono bridged into 8 ohm, you are already going to be over the cab power limitations, and I do not know if you can connect two 4 ohm cabs to that amp.

Tim99.

11. Right you are. I run Mono/Bridged when I use the single 410, (8ohm), you will need to buy a Mono/Bridge Speakon cable to use this hookup, (15-20$ at most retailers).

12. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    You did NOT just insist that 810's had no bottom end, did you?

I didn't think so :)

13. ok thanks for all your help guys :hyper:

peace,

scott

14. Right! Bottom for days!