Ampeg SVT-4 Pro anyone ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Nov 6, 2011.

1. I have a good opportunity to buy that beast.... I have never had a chance to try out that Ampeg head and I have never owned one. I now have the 210 and 115 Pro Neo Cabs and really like them. Would it be a good match, really ??? I am looking to get that 'growl' tone.

Is it worth it to carry that extra 35 pounds ??? Compared to my GK Fusion head which is only 4 pounds !!!

Let me know your thoughts and thanks as always !

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You must have the G-K MB Fusion (4lbs). You might like it, just keep the MB Fusion in reserve! REALLY don't let go of the MB Fusion till you live with the "SVT"-4 pro a while. ;)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Personally, I prefer the SVT 7 Pro to the 4 Pro, but the 4 Pro is a beast of a head and excellent if you like that lead sled tightness with your Ampeg.

4. The SVT-4 is a great amp but is pretty hefty. Your description of the tone you are looking for is pretty vague without a description of the basses you play, etc. Most of the 'growl' tone is in the mids so you should be able to EQ that in with almost any amp.

Rick B.

5. hulchihulch

hulchihulch

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, VA.
    The 4 is going to be very "tight" with your neo cabs... very very hi-fi. I didn't read your profile and I'm sorry for leaving a comment before hand but the 4 plus those cabs will be incredible for praise, gospel, funk, hip-hop and "3-11" type rock...even Chili-Peppers type mid-scoop funk/rock. As far as juicy finger-style tones... not the right match. Hope that helps.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    "Growl tone" - If you are talking about about SVT tube power section style growl, the 4 PRO will not deliver that at all. Some growl can be achieved from the 4 PRO with the input gain cranked.

GK Fusion head - GK heads are known for their growly nature, I am not sure if this head will deliver that. Big key to growly bass tones are roundwound strings and an amp able to do it easily.

7. U guys are great! I have to come to the conclusion once and for all that nothing can replace an all-tube head !

8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

What all tube head is that? You mentioned no all tube head so far?

9. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Ive got to agree with Jimmy M.......7pro all the way......lemme tell u that amp kicks with them 2 cabs

10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

As for the heft.....my Pro-4 is my smaller, lighter head that I go to for practices or gigs where I just need an 8 ohm 410 cab. I have always liked the capability of the 4-Pro and the power it can put out.

I have found that it growls enough for my liking when using Ampeg 10 inch speakers. Not the same as a tube amp, but has a very nice growl of its own. However, I have not had the same success when trying to pair it up with 15 or 18 inch speaker cabs.

I would not let the weight sway you. Its not that much. I just spent all last night moving an SVTII and 810 all over town. I had the Pro-4 along too, as the all mighty backup.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021