1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg svt-4 pro blurry?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Dec 19, 2005.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm wondering if any of you out there who played through ( or ownded) an svt-4 thought it was kinda blurry sounding or had other dislikes about it.
    What did you do about it?
    Would an svp-pro w/ a good power amp sound better?
    Thanks....

2. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    In my opinion the SVP-Pro does sound better. I don't think there's a clear winner though just opinions. The SVP-Pro is the preamp section of the SVT-2pro.
    What cabinet are you using? and what do you mean by blurry?

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont remember my SVT-4 being "blurry" sounding. I remember it causing earthquakes with the 2x15 fridge I used with it.

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I thought the SVT-Pro preamp was the same as in the SVT4 as well. But it may sound better with a different power amp.

I never thought mine was blurry, unless I was intentianally driving it to distort.

5. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I own a SVT IV Pro (among others), and I've never thought it sounded blurry or indistinct. It's a pretty wicked amp actually, but it does take some tweaking to get the most out of it. I like it.

Despite that, I'm probably going to be selling it soon. I've got too many amps!