Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg svt-4 pro blurry?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Dec 19, 2005.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm wondering if any of you out there who played through ( or ownded) an svt-4 thought it was kinda blurry sounding or had other dislikes about it.
    What did you do about it?
    Would an svp-pro w/ a good power amp sound better?
    Thanks....

2. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    In my opinion the SVP-Pro does sound better. I don't think there's a clear winner though just opinions. The SVP-Pro is the preamp section of the SVT-2pro.
    What cabinet are you using? and what do you mean by blurry?

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont remember my SVT-4 being "blurry" sounding. I remember it causing earthquakes with the 2x15 fridge I used with it.

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I thought the SVT-Pro preamp was the same as in the SVT4 as well. But it may sound better with a different power amp.

I never thought mine was blurry, unless I was intentianally driving it to distort.

5. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I own a SVT IV Pro (among others), and I've never thought it sounded blurry or indistinct. It's a pretty wicked amp actually, but it does take some tweaking to get the most out of it. I like it.

Despite that, I'm probably going to be selling it soon. I've got too many amps!