Ampeg SVT 4 PRO & Mesa Powerhouses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solevad, May 24, 2012.

1. Solevad

Solevad

Jan 22, 2008
    Can anyone help me out. I am getting an SVT 4 PRO but I'm not sure how to make a nice combination with my Mesa cabs.

I have a Powerhouse 4x10 and a Powerhouse 1x15, both 600w, 8 ohms.
    How will I get the most out of this rig?

2. Ok I'll bite...

I would try the head out with each one of your cabs individually. Figure out which one cab gives you the sound you are looking for. Then ditch the other one and buy a second of which ever cab works for your sound. There are lots of reasons why mixing speakers isnt the most optimal set up. But if you really want the most out of your rig here is the main one.

Power handling - This is non debatable.

No matter what the specs say, that 115 will not keep up with the 410. If you are pushing both cabs, the 115 will reach its mechanical limits far faster than the 410. you run the risk of damaging the 115.

For my tastes I would ditch the 410 and double up on the 115.

3. Solevad

Solevad

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks for the advice!

Well, I need the 4 10's, that's for sure so my choice in that case would be to ditch the 115 and double up the 410's.
    But are you sure it's not a possibility to mix speakers? What I'm looking for is the snap and punch of the 10's combined with the fat lows of a 15". And I would think this amp is perfect for a combination like that with all the dual mono/biamping/stereo options it's got. But of course I don't want to kill my speakers! ;)

Anyone who tried something similar?

4. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I have an SVT 4pro and 2 Mesa ph410s and a Mesa ph115. I don't recommend pairing the 115 with the 410. I use a single 410 by itself OR the 115 by itself for smaller gigs. For larger gigs I use both of the 410s. The two 410s sound incredible. Very deep and loud.

I will occasionally pair the 115 with one of the 410s for noodling around at home- AT LOW VOLUMES!!! I admit there is a nice combination of tones when I mix the two cab types, but at the volume levels I'm talking about, it would be useless in a full band situation. and a waste of space and back muscles to move that much gear around.

So do yourself a favor- get two 115s or two 410s. But you have picked some good gear. good luck.

5. Speaker diameter has nothing to do with how low they go, thats all cabinet design. Also many 410's go lower than 115's, and may 115's are snappier than 410's. Try both your cabs by themselves and listen with your ears, not your eyes as to which goes lower, and which has more mid range.

Also a note on Bi-amping: Bi-amping full range speakers is pointless. Bi-amping a sub and midrange-HF driver is a good idea. For one 15" sub you only need a small mid range driver to keep up with the volume. Bi-amping a full range 410 and a full range 115 is just a recipe for over powering a 115 to keep up with the 410. This is worse than running them both full range.

6. Solevad

Solevad

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks guys, it's much appreciated!

What I get from this is maybe 2 410's wouldn't be a bad choise! ;)

But maybe the amp is just too powerful for making the combination I'm after? Any suggestions on another amp to go with for mixing up the 10's and 15's? Right now I'm using an SWR 750 but the sound of that is too transparent and clear for my passive modulus VJ bass tone.

7. It's not an amp issue, it is a mixing speaker sizes issue.

8. That.

9. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    use the 4x10, set the amp to mono-bridge mode...and rock...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021