Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro...no power! HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Romadic, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Romadic

Romadic

Oct 28, 2003
    The bass player in my band uses the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head...supposedly something like 1600 watts...right...

But frankly the amp is quiet as hell. I mean it has no power. A mutual friend of ours uses an Ernie Ball 500 watt unit, and through the same Mesa 1-15" 4-10" cab, the Ampeg gets smoked.

If anyone has suggestions for getting more power out of his amp, I'm all ears. We've tried topping off the graphic EQ gain and using the knobs, but nothing seems to work. Thanks->
    WF

PS It's not that the guitar players are too loud...one of them is acoustic!

2. I would take it to a technician and get it checked out.
    It could be many many different things causing this.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Is the amp in bridged mode? If so, is the proper cable being used to connect to the speakers?

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    That unit should be REAL loud....

I think its really about 1300 watts continuous, but who's counting at that point?

it may just be too versatile...theres a biamp mode and a bridge mode, and you have to connect it right to get the bridge power.

Sounds like its only getting power to the speaker from one side. Time to check connections..

What impedance is the speaker? The 1600 watts is for a 4 ohm speaker bridged.

If you had an 8 ohm, on just one channel, you would get under 400 watts.....something like 250 or so probably.