Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, or other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by da_man99901, Feb 7, 2004.

1. da_man99901

Jan 25, 2004
    I am liking the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro head, but I haven't played it. I am just going from what I've heard and the specs. I just recently looked at a couple of other sites talking about this head and I got some suprisingly negative responses.

What are your comments on it?

I play a lot of jazz and rock and occasionally a double bass. Any other amp for $1500 or less that would be good for me?
  2. With that kind of $$$ you could get a very sweet pre/power rack set-up the would be very powerful and flexible. I'm taking it that's your budget for an amp only (not the cabinets)?
  3. da_man99901

Jan 25, 2004
    I am thinking about buying a SWR Goliath (4X10) plus a Son of Bertha (1X15). I think this is a bit overkill for my purposes, so I may just go with the 4X10 all by itself because I like the sound of it. The SVT 4 may be a bit much for that cab which is 700 watts.

Any other head with a good sound with tons of tonal flexibility. Maybe for a bit less!
  4. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    The Ampeg SVT-4 Pro is an awesome head!!!!

I've owned LOTS of others, and it's at the top of the heap, IMHO.

You can usually find them on Ebay for $700-$900 dollars, which is a steal for such a great amplifier!
  5. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    for the money I'd go Power/Pre amp system but that SVT-Pro 4 is as nice as reasonable bass heads go.