1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, or other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by da_man99901, Feb 7, 2004.

1. da_man99901

da_man99901

Jan 25, 2004
    I am liking the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro head, but I haven't played it. I am just going from what I've heard and the specs. I just recently looked at a couple of other sites talking about this head and I got some suprisingly negative responses.

What are your comments on it?

I play a lot of jazz and rock and occasionally a double bass. Any other amp for $1500 or less that would be good for me?

2. With that kind of $$$ you could get a very sweet pre/power rack set-up the would be very powerful and flexible. I'm taking it that's your budget for an amp only (not the cabinets)?

3. da_man99901

da_man99901

Jan 25, 2004
    I am thinking about buying a SWR Goliath (4X10) plus a Son of Bertha (1X15). I think this is a bit overkill for my purposes, so I may just go with the 4X10 all by itself because I like the sound of it. The SVT 4 may be a bit much for that cab which is 700 watts.

Any other head with a good sound with tons of tonal flexibility. Maybe for a bit less!

4. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    The Ampeg SVT-4 Pro is an awesome head!!!!

I've owned LOTS of others, and it's at the top of the heap, IMHO.

You can usually find them on Ebay for $700-$900 dollars, which is a steal for such a great amplifier!

5. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    for the money I'd go Power/Pre amp system but that SVT-Pro 4 is as nice as reasonable bass heads go.