1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro Power Amp B problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkrising, Feb 24, 2008.

1. darkrising

darkrising

Oct 20, 2007
    Tampa
    I'm not sure if this has been posted before as I tried searching the threads and didn't find anything. I just purchased an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro and when I tried running it mono bridged it had sever fizzle and crackling noises. Then after several different attempts at running it stereo with Speakon and 1/4" cables I concluded that when only Power Amp B was plugged in it was the one making all the fizzling and crackling noises. In anyone's experience would this be a Power Amp issue or could just the speaker jacks be the problem. If I run either speakon or 1/4" cables off of Power Amp B or Bridged it makes the noise. I'm trying to find out if it is still under warranty but looking to get more info just in case. Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    hard to say what is wrong. You could try patching the "A" preamp output to the "B" poweramp input and see if the noises are still there.

if not, patch "B" preamp out to "A" amp and see if it is noisy then

That would at least isolate it to the "B" amp or "B" preamp out.

If it is NOT noisy in either condition, the in/out jacks need cleaned.

There was a problem with a lot of SLM in/out jacks until we tested them and found that the plating on many was corroding when exposed to sulphur compounds (a common air pollutant) and cigarette smoke.

We switched jack suppliers and plating type, and the problem went away. I don't know if LOUD still uses the better jacks.