1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro Rack Case Spaces

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jamie K, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jamie K

Jamie K

Nov 4, 2016
    How many rack spaces are needed to house an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro? I cannot find it listed anywhere.

I won't be keeping it inside the case for shows/practice - I strictly need it for transportation from show to show. Extra work I know, but I'm not chancing the overheating. It gets plenty warm and I'm not looking to invest in repairs or drill holes in the case.

Cheers.

2. A standard rack space is 1-3/4". So two spaces is 3-1/2", 3 spaces is 5-1/4" and so on. If the thing you're rack mounting is not an exact multiple of of 1-3/4" you should always ad one rack space. So if it is 4-1/2" high, go to 5-1/4 for your rack space count. Don't forget to include top and bottom screws if they are not flush with the amp cabinet, or feet, top handles etc, if you don't remove them.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 4 PRO is a 3 space amp head. Pay attention to Old Garage-Bander's post. In addition, add a fan to the back side and make sure the 4 PRO can let off enough hot air. It's side ventilated and your typical rack unit is NOT conducive to air flow. The old Ampeg made racks were great because they had built in ventilation holes on them. Unfortunately, they are quite hard to find now.

4. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I bought a "wood" rack case and put a hole in line with the fan exit and put a hole in the handle so air could circulate. Just an option......
    svt4pro case.JPG
    021.JPG
    020 (1).JPG

Gearhead17 likes this.
  5. Jamie K

Jamie K

Nov 4, 2016
    Awesome, man. That's all I needed to know. Like I said, it's strictly for transportation between shows - no intention of keeping it in while it's running, all too aware of the heating issues.

6. I've got the similar question. I wanna put my SVT4Pro to rack thing. I need 4U to have a little space for ventilation ? Does rack bags are good option to transportation this amp ? Millenium Rack Bag 4
    Or maby I must buy sth like this and order custom bag for cover this whole track ?
    http://www.liveactionhero.com/franco/Aguilar_Case/Aguilar_case_top_front.jpg
    What do you think guys ? What's the best solution ? I want good but reasonable cheap solution.

And btw. Does pad cover is enough for HLF410cab when it comes to transportation in band car etc ?
    Thanks.

7. Indeed. The fan is IMPORTANT!! Me? I use one of those clip on fans on the back of the rack...works wonders.

8. Oh, there's no big deal about "keeping it mounted". I've had mine in a rack with a tuner, a wireless unit and a power strip for some 8 years now. Played long sets in clubs, outdoor festivals and the like and never once has it let me down.

The "downside"? It's heavy as an anvil...... :)

9. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Did you finally buy the Millenium rack? I strongly advise you not to do so. No air ventilation and the SVT 4 is a heavy amp. I'm afraid it will kill this budget rack.