1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro + Tech 21 RBI Bass tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by milleritaly, Oct 23, 2013.

1. milleritaly

milleritaly

Oct 22, 2013
    I am considering purchasing an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head.

Would it be worth it associating a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI Bass Tube Amp Emulator to the SVT-4 pro or would it be a waste of time/money?

I play a Fender American P-Bass and would associate that combo to an Ampeg SVT-810E Cab.

Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends...if you want something to do dirt, it might be, although I'd rather have a VT pedal or some other similar dirt pedal. But if you just want clean sounds, the 4 Pro's got you covered there.

3. milleritaly

milleritaly

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes, I'm trying to get that fat/punchy typical ampeg sound. I could afford the SVT-CL tube head, but unfortunately due to portability it would be a nightmare. Therefore I am trying to "emulate" the sound of the SVT-CL via the SVT-4 pro with the Tech 21 RBI.

4. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    The 4 pro isnt much smaller or lighter.

Maxfenderbass and mbelue like this.
  5. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I use an RBI with my SVT-4pro and I love it. It was just the thing i needed to put a little polish on my sound. I use a pbass primarily and play through 2 Mesa 4x10s most of the time. If there is a downside to using this setup it's that there are a LOT of knobs and adjustment options. And for a lot of players, that isn't really a downside at all lol.

I haven't regretted the extra expense of the RBI for a second. I keep them both in a four space rack case and power the RBI off of the outlet on the back of the SVT-4pro.

You can see them together in my avatar (sandwiched between my SVT-2pro and my SVT 200T)

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I dont agree. I have both the SVT II and a 4-Pro, and the 4-Pro always gets chosen since I can pick it up with one hand and tote it anywhere without using my back. My SVT II is a killer and is necessary to be handled by 2 people. FYI: I recommend using a 4-Pro without any rack/container or anvil case. It just gets way hot in there and the case adds bulk.

Now back to your OP original question. I use a VT Bass pedal with everything. It simply sound better when I use it as would the other Sansamp units. I get some of the fattest punchiest sound using my SVT 4 Pro and the VT Bass. You would definitely have better sound capability using the Tech 21 unit as a pre.

jdubbass38 likes this.
  7. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    This is an interesting thread. I've always used my Tech 21 products (except the Oxford) to emulate Ampeg. When I started using my SVP-Pro I took them out of my chain. Maybe I need to experiment more......

8. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    The VT bass: for making your Ampeg sound more like an Ampeg.

9. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You are correct, Its only 40lbs. I thought it was almost 60lbs.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I always use a Sansamp with anything Ampeg SVT series.

My deal with all the SVT's I've tried and owned is that the built in voice is dark/smooth and lacking a certain type of presence. The Sansamp brings it right in. If you want to get a little more metal tone out of the SVT-4, it is a great enhancement.

11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Exactly....you can never have enough Ampeg in your Ampeg. It always sounds bigger meatier and brighter using the Tech 21 units as a pre....

Especially if you cant crank your SVT high enough at the club (because its too loud), for the good sound, you can always trim it in with your Tech 21.....

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    The 4 pro does sound great by itself, but when you add in a sansamp product into your signal chain, it just does something to the tone that you can't get without it. Like another poster said, it adds this extra presence to your sound. Any time I try to remove it out of my chain, I always end up going right back to it. Everything is set pretty flat on the pedal, with a slight boost in the drive and presence. It just helps it sit better in the mix. I can get a great tone out of my amp w/o, but man, when you step on that switch it just takes it to another level.

13. Matt Muck

Matt Muck

Apr 5, 2018
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a rackmount sans. How do people run this into the svt4? I'm running it out with a patch cable to the input on the front of the svt4, with the input lowered -15db as it's a hot signal. Are there any other methods?

14. basssolotake1

basssolotake1 Banned

Aug 31, 2013
    Hey Matt , Im wondering the same thing. I just got the Sansamp RBI rackmount and I bypassed my Ampeg SVT4 pro Pre amp ,which sounds good but I want to see how to connect it properly to use both simultaneously.. Any experts out there that can help ?//

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    To use both simultaneously, just plug the RBI into the input of the 4 Pro. Alternately, run its send and return to the loop of the 4 Pro. But I prefer going into the input with Sansamp stuff. Don't use the RBI but I use the VT Deluxe sometimes.

16. basssolotake1

basssolotake1 Banned

Aug 31, 2013
    Right on my brotha,, I will give that a try when I get to the practice studio tomorrow.. Thank you for the info

JimmyM likes this.
  17. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    You mean you want to run the RBI and your amps preamp in parallel at the same time or switch between the two sounds? To switch between the two sounds it's best to use an A/B box that goes from your bass to the input of the amp and RBI. Then take the preamp out of your amp and the SansAmp out of the RBI and route to a small mixer and send the output of that to the efx return of the amp. BEWARE. Never plug the speaker outs of your amp into the RBI. You can also try the aforementioned method by using the A/B box to both preamps but take the amp's efx send and insert that to the efx return of the RBI set to 50/50. Then take the SansAmp output of the RBI and plug that into the mono return of the bass amp.

If you want both sounds simultaneously try plugging into the RBI first and sending the buffered uneffected output to the input of your bass amp. Then take the effects loop send on the back of your amp and plug it into the effects return of the RBI and have the 50/50 switch engaged. This will mix the two signals. Then plug the SansAmp output of the RBI into the mono return of your amp and you should get the sound of both your amp's preamp and the RBI. I can't guarantee about the phase. If the sound of both signals is weak the two signals may be out of phase. The RBI is in phase input to output.

I'm not sure how the Ampeg's efx send is configured so balancing the two signals and phase may be issues but it's easy enough to try.

basssolotake1 likes this.
  18. basssolotake1

basssolotake1 Banned

Aug 31, 2013
    I appreciate the info, It was a little confusing though. lol . The SVT4 has multiple options for connecting cabinets directly to the amp as it is.. lol.. I did the mono bridged hookup and the power amp A / power amp B w 1/4" jacks for simplicity purposes. I do want to use the RBI (drive) for the distortion and the unaffected output to my other 4x10 for clean tones. I just feel like , when I'm not utilizing the Ampegs preamp /tubes Im cheating myself out of the best thing the Ampeg has to offer on that amp..I could of just got a (Power Amp) and used the RBI as my tone /preamp etc.

19. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Depending upon what you're trying to accomplish if you want to always utilize the preamp tubes in the amp you should just use the RBI in front like a stomp box. The uneffected output is a buffered instrument level signal of your instrument. Are you trying to do a bi-amp type of setup? If you're not using anything in the amp's effects loop you could use the splitting function of the RBI and use your amp as you normally do and set up the RBI for distortion by plugging the output into the amp's efx return only. That amp has a footswitch function for the loop. This way when you engage the loop it would go directly to the RBI for distortion.

basssolotake1 likes this.
  20. basssolotake1

basssolotake1 Banned

Aug 31, 2013
    awesome !! i appreciate your time man,, thank you for the information .. i will try those configurations