Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro vs. Carvin Monoblock 1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumzini, May 25, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm considering the purchase of one of these monsters. Plenty o'power from each. Ampeg=tube pre...Carvin= emulator. Has anyone played either? Both? Compared? Pros and cons requested. I'll be playing through Avatar 212 and 410. Rock/metal type stuff. I can get the Svt for $971 new and the Carvin of course $699.

2. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Well Ampeg has a dealer in almost every city, so to take advantage of your 5 year warranty if something blows you drive over and get it fixed. If your Carvin blows you have to pay to get it to California and wait for shipping time plus shop time could be a month before you get it back.
    When I was blowing up SVT cabs I would drop them off at the shop where I bought them and pick it up a few days later.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    $971 for a new SVT-4? I just paid $1,300 for a new one. :( -Luke

4. Yea that's a damned good deal.. I'd scoop that up!

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Mmmmmmmmm Ampeg, get it!! Good deal aswell!!

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah...I think Ampeg. And OOOOOOHHHH BOY...I just recieved the check that's a gonna but it. I have a grand to play with...I though that I woud go in the and plop down 800-850 cash in front of their nose and see what happens. What do ya guys think? Would it be insulting? Also...they do have the SVT 5 there for 1050. Pros/cons between the two??? Can you get a distortion/grind sound out of the 4? Dosn't the 5 have that built in? Oh yeah and how much to retube? And lastly...should I go with something totally different? Like a pre/power setup....pros/cons in that decision??? HEELLLP! I'm gonna but somethin on Tuesday so help me!!!!!!!!!!

7. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I have seen SVT-4's go for $599 used and the 5's are just a beefed up B5R the only tubes in these are preamp tubes.
    The SVT CL and SVT 2 are the big tube daddy's.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...so what is better there? Tube or the hybrid? Isn't 300 watt tube equal 600 watt solid state or hybrid? I need to grasp some understanding of all this. I'll never have a chance like this to buy something great...so i don't want to make a misinformed decision. I'm also considering pre/power...but don't know anything about it.

9. Watts and Sound pressure level dont strictly tally. A valve amp will be louder than the equivilant solid state amp (usually) but there is no yardstick as such. I bet an Ampeg SVT CL will be as loud as the the SVT4 which is meant to be a 1600 watt amp. My Tace Elliot V4 (rated at 200w) is equally as loud as my Old AH600MX (rated at 600w). IMO buy the Ampeg.

10. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Dont get me wrong the SVT 4 is a fine sounding amp it's loud too. But the SVT CL is loud when you turn it on there is no letting the wife stay in bed and practice at 2a.m.

You should go to a dealer that stocks these amps and give them a wirl.

11. Get the 4. The price is awesome! And bang for buck I think youll be very pleased! (I play a 5 Pro....paid 800 for it, brand new...money well spent!)