Ampeg SVT-4 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstomuch, May 6, 2001.

1. How many TB 'ers out there have them? How many have had a problem with them? Mine has fried twice!!
    Lucky for me not at a gig. At home practice volume low enough to talk over . I use a BP-8 tube processor and a carvin LB 70 W/ active electronics . Whats up ? is my signal to hot, I dont run the amp in clip mode the limit led hardly come on even with the hardest pops. Idono but Im ready to go back to all SS , I dont trust this one. I love the sound And hate to give it up. What should i do ? Its still under warrinty so repair is covered ..but this is twice now.
    Second Question , I want an amp that is quite. that wont hiss and humm while its on and up in volume. I have a Ampeg B-3 combo that is loud with the volume up and nothing being played through it . What is out there , I;m leaning toward carvin, someone fill me in on the new R 1000.
    is it quite? or any after market that will take care of the hummmmmmmmmmmm. Thanks !
  2. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The SVT-4Pro is a bit strange. I've heard from some people that the power amp isn't quite tweaked out yet. The 3Pro has been very reliable for me. Mostly though the 4Pro has been very good.
    Make sure that if you are running it in bridge mode you actually have your Speakon cable set to 1+ 2+ if not you are only going to have trouble getting the volume you want. Also make sure that the little button in the back is set right.
    As far as hiss, and hum, turn the treble down, and see if that helps. Also for hum turn the amp on and don't plug into it. If it still hums its in the amp. If not it is in the bass. You could have a ground problem where you are playing, that would cause the amp to hum. You could also be getting noise from external sources nearby, flourescent lights, refrigerators, etc.
    One other thing to try is new preamp tubes, you may be amazed at what they can fix.