1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 4 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbassxx, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jbassxx

jbassxx

Jan 14, 2013
    hello all, maybe this is a stupid question but I need to be sure, sorry. I have just purchased an ampeg svt 4 pro to a guy from the US but where I live, we have 220VAC.

Looking at the manual, I see this the power requirements:

[Domestic]: 100-120 VAC, 50-60Hz, 1.4kVA, 1.4kW
    [Export]: 200-240VAC, 50-60Hz, 1.4kVA, 1.4kW

what does this mean? it support both voltages?
    what does [Export] mean? do I need a 220V to 110V transformer?

thanks in advance

jbassxx

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "Export" means "not in America where we have 120v power." Pretty sure all you need to do is rewire the power transformer for foreign countries but it should be done by someone who knows what they're doing. You could use a step down transformer, but then you'd be lugging the 4 Pro and a box the size of a car battery that weighs more than the 4 Pro.

3. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    Send me a PM and I can talk you through it. Pretty easy as long as it has the universal power transformer in there, which it most likely does.

4. Dialitup

Dialitup

May 29, 2014
    Hi there anyone in this thread know what year they started using the universal transformer in the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro. Im in Australia and Im making enquires for one that's USA made. My understanding is that a simple rearrangement of transformer wires and changing the fuse to a slowblow 5A fuse is whats required. Appreciate some feedback!!!!

5. Yeah thats correct. I don't have details for the 4 Pro but it definitely possible to reconfigure.

Dialitup likes this.
  6. Dialitup

Dialitup

May 29, 2014
    Thanks vin*tone I gonna be making the purchase next week. Done a serial check on it and the 5th digit is K which makes it a 98 model.

7. Dialitup

Dialitup

May 29, 2014
    So your pretty certain that it also applies to a 98 model. Thanks in advance.

8. Well it's probably a question for Hodgy or Jerold to answer but as far as I know all Pro model Ampegs are switchable.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If the transformer (which you unfortunately can't see from outside) has a part number on it ending in "-40", it is universal. That works for all SLM products, not just Ampeg.

if it has a lot of wires on one side, including brown, blue, and generally purple, and gray also, it is universal. Sometimes you can see that when you can't see a label, by looking through cooling air slots.

I do not recall the year that the Ampeg became all universal transformers for at least the entire "SVT" collection.

10. Dialitup

Dialitup

May 29, 2014
    Thanks Jerrold for the info, Ive made my purchase with a lot more confidence. But I have another question in relation to F1,F2,F3 fuses. Do any need to be changed to comply with 230V?

Much appreciation. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021