Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG SVT-400 and Ampeg 410 he

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PUNXBASS, May 15, 2005.

1. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    hey yall. was gonna buy a trace elliot 410 but relized it wouldnt sound the greatest for my rock/punk style of playing. plus somone bought it but thats besides the matter it woudlnt have worked for me. So i was lookin the classifieds here, found a Ampeg 410 he for 375 and a AMPEG SVT-400 on ebay for like 250. hows this sound for a powerful enough rig to cut through a 120 watt guitar amp, 150 watt guitar, and the drums? i think it should cover it. thanks

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The 410HE is an 8 ohm cab. I "think" the 400T is 400 watts at 4 ohms so a single 410HE cab may not be a good match... it would probably not be loud enough for you. Look for a 4 ohm cab... if you want Ampeg, maybe a 410HLF. However, I have read many reviews on Harmony central and most of them state that the 400T isn't a very loud amp. But personally I have never tried one and you can't always believe everything you read on the internet!

3. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I owned that head 10+ years ago. Sounds good and is versitle (biamp capable) but wasn't the loudest amp. I played with a "scooped" eq (thrash band) though. Used it ALOT for 5+ years and it held up fine. Rack mount it, it weighs a ton. Congrats.

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm not sure why a trace cab wouldn't be suitable for rock/punk!

They're built like brick **** houses and therefore would stand far more (abusive!) gigging than the Ampeg - higher wattage rating too. You'll find it's got the capacity to cut through with the mids which is where you need to be.