1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMPEG SVT-400 and Ampeg 410 he

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PUNXBASS, May 15, 2005.

1. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    hey yall. was gonna buy a trace elliot 410 but relized it wouldnt sound the greatest for my rock/punk style of playing. plus somone bought it but thats besides the matter it woudlnt have worked for me. So i was lookin the classifieds here, found a Ampeg 410 he for 375 and a AMPEG SVT-400 on ebay for like 250. hows this sound for a powerful enough rig to cut through a 120 watt guitar amp, 150 watt guitar, and the drums? i think it should cover it. thanks

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The 410HE is an 8 ohm cab. I "think" the 400T is 400 watts at 4 ohms so a single 410HE cab may not be a good match... it would probably not be loud enough for you. Look for a 4 ohm cab... if you want Ampeg, maybe a 410HLF. However, I have read many reviews on Harmony central and most of them state that the 400T isn't a very loud amp. But personally I have never tried one and you can't always believe everything you read on the internet!

3. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I owned that head 10+ years ago. Sounds good and is versitle (biamp capable) but wasn't the loudest amp. I played with a "scooped" eq (thrash band) though. Used it ALOT for 5+ years and it held up fine. Rack mount it, it weighs a ton. Congrats.

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm not sure why a trace cab wouldn't be suitable for rock/punk!

They're built like brick **** houses and therefore would stand far more (abusive!) gigging than the Ampeg - higher wattage rating too. You'll find it's got the capacity to cut through with the mids which is where you need to be.